1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations For Garage Floor

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Gandalf, Aug 16, 2017.

1. another floorpaint here. It's not perfect - it tends to chip on the raised bits and stick to tyres, but it was quick and convenient and is a lot better than an untreated floor.
    If you put carpet down, make sure it's pale and plain - so you can see anything you drop on it.
    Is there any room in the house to be refurbished? could you appropriate the floor covering from there?

2. Hi all, thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. I am somewhat limited in terms of what is available here in Hanoi. What I have been looking for is an industrial type interlocking plastic tile, but these are not available here. What I have found is a rubber tile (comes in a variety of colours) which is about 15 mm thick and gets glued to the floor, it is not clear whether they are interlocking or not (some pictures show they are, some not) and the sales people speak no English and "interlocking" is not understood (nor is jigsaw puzzle..) :astonished: . It is about my best option. In terms of paint it is quite limited and finding an epoxy coating has proven to be extremely difficult, the only success there being an offer to import it for me, but then I would have to buy enough to almost paint a tennis court - not quite what I need for my modest little garage (about 6 foot by 10 foot). The carpet tiles which I can find here wouldn't last a week, and neither would the lino. The last option that may be usable would be a plywood floor (mentioned in the other flooring thread). I can get reasonable quality plywood sheets here (1.2 m x 2.4 m) so with a bit of patience that could be cut to suit and placed on top of some foam floor tiles (these are very cheap here).

Anyway, no rush, the floor can stay as it is for a while, there will be plenty of other things to sort once we have moved in over the weekend.

Will post some pictures when it is eventually done.

Cheers!

3. Buy some used carpet tiles on ebay or elsewhere and you will always have some spare if you spill oil etc. Nicer to stand on too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ive got interlocking PVC tiles and they are good. lots out there and often come up used on ebay which is how i got mine

ecotiles or mototiles are decent enough. just avoid the very cheap ones.

5. I really like the idea of tiling my garage/workshop out, and have thought about it a lot, but my trouble with all the tiles mentioned is my need to use a trolley jack in my garage to lift 2.7Tns of Land Rover when I need to.
    None of them will stand up to the pressure exerted by the small metal wheels on the jack with any amount of weight on them, possibly 1.6tns on the jack when lifting the front.

Does anyone have any experience of using them under a Motorcycle lift bench?
    I've converted my bench to larger casters with rubber coated wheels, but I'm not sure tiles would put up with the loads, or if I'd be able to move the bench around on the textured surface.
    I can't just tile around the bench as I need to spin it round by @45deg to get bikes on and off.

6. The tiles should take the weight on trolley Jack, that’s what the manufacturer says.

7. I use a Skylift on my cheap ones. It can be moved about easily enough despite the 'bumpy' surface and has not deformed, moved or split any tiles. They have been down probably 7 years now and are not too badly marked despite 3 bikes, 3 pedal bikes, tool chests, oil spils, etc.. I do have the MTS on stand puck but the other 2 are usually on paddock stands which can also be moved around easily enough. They are laid directly on a concrete base - the only prep was a cold chisel to remove a few cement bumps, then used a stanley knife and a rubber mallet to click together the more stubborn ones... I did sweep up first ;-)

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/garage-floor-protection.91556/#post-1973369

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  8. When you say domestic vinyl, do you mean the stuff normally used in kitchens (Cushing floor), if so, I wouldn’t if I was you. But if you mean something like (Altro) vinyl sheet that’s more than capable, we’ve put it in a couple of garages over the years.
    But if it was me I’d go for the interlocking heavy duty vinyl tiles. We’ve laid them in an engineering college workshop in Swansea and they were still there a few years later when the college closed down.
    If you can’t of or don’t want to pay for new ones, keep an eye on fleabay for secondhand ones, they seem to come up quite often.

9. Vinyl sheet or tiles Sev ?

10. I have a bike lift that I use on mine with no issues if thats any help.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. #33 Biot, Jun 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  12. I would go for the tiles, they will breath some. But conversely if you park stuff wet in the garage, the water will seep back through the tiles.

13. Plus if you rip a tile you can replace it

14. @bradders true; but I've spun my GS1200 round on it's main stand and my Polymax solid floor has been fine. Any spills like coolant from my fractured rad on the Pani were easy just to mop up with some rag. As opposed to seeping through tile sides to what lies below. Wouldn't be happy with a fuel spill with a tiled and insulated floor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Imho spend £500 and get tiles. Don’t need to be the best ones, as tiles mean you can normally replace any damaged in the main use areas.

Or segments the floor: soft area you can use cheap Halfords flooring (can get for £10 per pack in B&Q) and where you need it robust proper tiles.

• Like Like x 1
  16. You need to use Epoxy floor paint to make it really hard wearing.

17. I covered my shed with plastic tiles. You can put down a thin foam underlay to deal with slight bumps, assuming your concrete is pretty flat and then put the tiles on top. IMG_2912.jpeg IMG_2915.jpeg 61003058755__EF3DBA82-7BA2-4EC6-A537-8C53E48B4D7A.JPG IMG_2920.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  18. What did you do with your garage floor?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information