1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Enduro Recommended Chain And Sprockets

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by tim jones, Feb 17, 2019.

1. I'm due a chain and sprocket set (16500 miles) as its wearing now. Has anyone got any recommendations for a long lasting reliable chain and sprocket set as internet searching doesn't reveal much.

2. Ducati standard chains are poo, best for wear resistance is the DID ZVM-X chains which are superb. Talon sprockets are good also JT. Avoid really cheap un branded versions as they will destroy your quality chain. B&C or any good internet bike dealer can help with your requirements.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. sportsbikeshop do the 116ink 530 DID ZVM-X, which is the bees knees. Stick with the same sprockets from ducati is my advice. Hoping to fit my new chain this coming week.

4. I use the AFAM Gold DID chain with the Ducati Supplied Sprockets, The OE chain is very poor and stretches a lot, the AFAM needs adjusting after about 200 miles and then hardly at all afterwards!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. My OE DVT chain was ready for change at 16300 miles. I bought a DID ZVM-X gold chain c/w pair of Afam sprockets as a package. After another 7800 miles I decided to change the front sprocket from the standard 15 teeth to a 14 teeth one mainly for smoother riding in 30 and 40 mph zones (plus other benefits). On removing the Afam front sprocket I was amazed and dismayed to see clear hooking of the teeth. I didn't expect to see that from such a low mileage. The rear sprocket showed no visible wear and neither did the chain. Of course, front sprockets do three times the work of a rear sprocket so more wear is to be expected, but I think this is excessive and makes me wonder what a 16300 miler would look like.

I have an electronic Scott Oiler fitted so it wasn't lack of lubrication that caused the wear.

I'm wondering if a different manufacturer such as JT would have been better. I read somewhere that their sprockets are hardened all over, not just the tips. I've used Afam before and never had cause for complaint, though as this was the first time I'd changed the front sprocket myself so I'd never inspected previous ones. If I'd bought a cheap after market part then maybe that's what you'd expect, but Afam is a well respected name.

FYI the 14T sprocket I fitted is also from Afam, so I'll take a bit more interest in it as the miles increase.

P1000351.JPG

P1000360.JPG

P1000366.JPG

P1000368.JPG

6. On my 1260 I had an AFAM DID Gold chain fitted before I picked the bike up, that was a year ago. I have also had the Ducati Front sprocket on the 1260 changed at 12K miles and it was looking pretty worn, the Chain and rear Sprocket are good,
    Reason for the caution (on my part) is that I had an OE chain break at 80 "ish" in Belgium on my DVT and at 14K miles the front sprocket was really bad as was the chain, hence the break. I now take good care of the front sprocket with a regular clean and inspect. It does a lot of work with all that lovely torque :).

7. Thank you for all the advice, gratefully received. JT advertise a rubber cushioned front sprocket, is there much benefit in this?

8. cushioned front sprocket ?
    never seen one on any of the Ducatis I have owned, and wouldn't expect it to last as long as a full steel one.
    Dont forget the rear sprocket is essentially cushioned because of the rubber bobbins.

@Coman I would expect your smaller front sprocket to wear quicker. Keep an eye on it as I've seen the tops of the teeth go missing on 14 tooth sprockets...

9. I know this is an Enduro Thread but just FYI - The 1260 Front Sprocket has rubber inserts around the sprocket, these are NOT cushions but are in place for noise reduction purposes, the main part of the sprocket is Steel. Cant remember the sprocket type but I looked it up and it is for noise reduction.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Veetwin, I stand corrected, I've not seen one like that on a Ducati before.

11. Late the game as usual, my 2019 spec V4 has the front sprocket with a tarty red plastic ring and yes, the workshop confirm it is for noise reduction. Have to say, not sure I could tell which individual component is making noise over the clatter of the desmo head gear, gearbox clatter and an Akrapovic exhaust. Gimmic ? Andy

• Like Like x 1
  12. I've tended to use jt sprockets and did gold chain on most bikes I've used and along with reasonable maintenence have served me well.

I tend to buy from established outlets too as I had one that claimed to be did on ebay that turned out to be stamped so, but was a fake as I found out when it failed, I raised it with the importer who confirmed it was a fake.

13. This is what a 1260 Front Sprocket looks like after 12,000 miles, not too bad really but definitely worn. A new front sprocket has been fitted, the AFAM DID Gold chain is still good as is the rear sprocket.

[​IMG]

14. can someone tell me the thickness of those sprockets please, any make.

15. can someone tell me what torque setting are on the front and rear sprocket of my 2016 multistrada enduro .
    Cheers will

16. New chain and sprockets fitted yesterday. Roughly 145000 miles. Front was clearly hooked. Rear not to bad.

The new chain was adjusted as per the manual but it seems very tight. Has anyone else noticed this or have I done something wrong.

20191228_171750.jpg

20191228_171721.jpg

17. Not sure what DSS settings are suggested for chain tension checking in Enduro bike, but On my normal skyhook it’s check in urban setting on side stand . This should give around 30mm-35mm slack?

#19 michel couque, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. If it's too tight, slacken it off. I do mine with the guide plate they supplied with the bike. One of the easiest chain adjustments I have ever had to do.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information