1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Recommission - My First Ducati

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by regcheeseman, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Synchronised the carbs today, they were out by a bit and the engine runs much smoother as a result. Hooked my guages up and propped the tank on a bit of 4x2, every garage has chunks of oily 4x2 stashed around.
    IMG_20210327_170300.jpg

Shot a quick video which finishes on the wonky exhaust cans

Released all the brackets on the pipes, there's no way they are ever going to sit right, the only thing I can think of doing is to cut the cans off the pipes, rotate them straight and then weld them back on, I've got a TIG so it should be cleaner than the original blobby mess.

• Like Like x 1
  2. You got the correct bracket mounting? Below pic of my 916 if it helps

12768581-D978-4C12-BAD5-C6E87F92741D.png

3. I've got the same bracket on my subframe, my cans don't have straps but an L shaped bracket on top of the can. Regardless both cans are twisted the same direction. Its like the collector is wrong but it isn't unless it's from the wrong bike. Nothing is twisted or bent???
    It seems like rotating the cans on the link pipes will be the answer, then the (bent to fit) l shaped brackets can be straightened and will fit how they are supposed to. Perhaps this system was welded up Friday afternoon after a lunchtime session?

I have a 1.0 Corsa that I was given for my son to learn to drive in, it sprang an oil leak through the oil pressure sensor, would you believe its the same part as fitted to the 996 - which is also leaking, what are the chances of that! I've ordered two.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Double check the rating on those sensors. I replaced mine with a Vauxhall part twice before discovering they have different pressure ratings, they will work but will be more prone to failing again.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Chopped up some expensive silencers
    IMG_20210403_210726[1].jpg

Polished the pipes and cans up, for a reputed system they are very poory fabricated

6. Nice project! What make are those cans?

7. As i recognise those cans on the hinges and carbon weave, the brand is BOS.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I don’t think they’re Termi. The ends look wrong as does the carbon fibre :thinkingface:

9. Like said in the previous post they are BOS and have a E type approval, which is highly recommended in Germany.

• Like Like x 1
  10. That would explain the poor fit and construction, not sure they are BOS, there was a makers mark, no e mark though.

edit: Put my specs on, markings on the cans read BOSDEMPRES

#50 regcheeseman, Apr 4, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Finally ready for MOT next Tuesday
    IMG_20210410_150028.jpg

I even rode it for the first time ever, amazing, beautifully smooth. Time spent setting up the throttles was well spent.

IMG_20210410_150045.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  12. Looks like Dunlop D207 tyres fitted. Loved the D207GPs on my old 916 but those must be nearly 15yr old if not more?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tyres are vintage, probably overdue a change.

MOT day today, the run to the station started OK but a few miles in and I was losing clutch, slipping when pulling away or anything over 3000rpm.
    Made it there, got the pass and rode home gently.
    10 mins after getting home
    IMG_20210413_143856.jpg

So easy to work on, the Dewalt rattle gun made quick work of the clutch, basket and hub don't look good IMG_20210413_143918.jpg

And the plates are hammered
    IMG_20210413_144006.jpg

Stripped and cleaned

IMG_20210413_202338.jpg

Is this basket OEM - no ducati marks anywhere that I can see
    IMG_20210413_202312.jpg

So what are my (sensible budget) options?

I'm thinking about filling the basket and fitting new friction plates but the experience on here may have better ideas? Quite fancy an open clutch cover, do these make the death rattle even more pronounced?

14. If it were a dirt bike I would tell you to file down the basket and go to town.. but not sure how nice it'll feel on a road bike.

15. If its a steel basket it’s probably original oem, if you fit an alloy basket you need to also fit alloy friction plates to match . I recall ST4(S?) had alloy basket & plates as oem but thats an old faded 10yrs memory from when i fitted an aftermarket MPL? Alloy basket to my Superlight. PS are those D207s the GP version or the cooking /plain street vers? Just reminiscing about having the GPs on my old 916 , they were a good tyre in their day much like Mich TX11 Hi-Sports . I wonder how they would compare to current fast road rubber .

#55 Macca, Apr 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  16. Not a steel basket, friction plates are alloy - thought most clutches were alloy/alloy but I've only experience of jap stuff?

Modern tyres would be night and day to old dunlops, tyre tech has come on so far in ten years. I was never a fan of Dunlops back in the day, fitted one, once as a necessity and I found it had poor feedback, I soon went back to either Bridgestones or Pirellis.

17. Also got the first MOT in ten years on this today

IMG_20210413_170533_sml.jpg

It's far nicer to ride on the road than the Ducati, that rear tyre is entertaining.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Just been out to check...
    Steel basket and steel friction plates
    7 friction and 9 steels, I'm guessing this isn't standard, just an extra steel bodged in to mask a failing clutch?

19. I think there was a "quiet clutch" mod that put an extra steel in (1st) posted around the ducati webs a while ago. Needs checking for detail/accuracy, I recall I may have seen it on ducati.ms an eon or two ago, yup loads of posts on there about it. Update, looks like its an extra friction plate in 1st ?.
    some useful? info here Quieter Clutches | Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

#59 Macca, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  20. Indeed but for better access and stability, I find it easier to fit the tank backwards;

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information