1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redding Defecting To Bmw For 2022 Wsb Season

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Dibble, Aug 19, 2021.

1. IMO, SR absolutely has to get his frustration under control, when the bike doesn't deliver what he thinks it should. Can't remember him ever being in a team where has had to develop a bike so will be interesting to see what BMW give him. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. who is lewis ?

3. My understanding is that he is an Oxfordshire based Detective Inspector, with his own tv documentary series.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Other than money it feels like career suicide to me. How long have BMW been in WSBK now (admittedly they didn't run a factory effort for a few years), but they had Corser and Melandri many moons ago and they couldn't deliver a title. I'd go as far as to say Skyes and VDM won't win a title also, so Scott is a good scoop for them, albeit I'm not convinced they win a title with him either, happy to be proved wrong.

You have to remember how small Ducati is by comparison to every other factory, and they are putting 8 bikes on the MotoGP grid next year, so clearly their focus is on winning there, WSBK would be nice but until JR retires it's not going to happen, then you have Toprak who looks like the real deal now.

With a reported new V4R coming this year, that will quickly be homologated for WSBK maybe Scott has jumped (possibly pushed) too soon.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TBF, the new shape Beemer is a nice looking bike. Never liked the old shape much.

6. Mostly valid except:

1. Gen1-3 beemers were never built to win WSBK. The platform was designed as a street bike and retrofitted to racing.

2. Gen4 was designed to win WSBK from day 1.

3. BMW released MRR 2 years after Gen4, meaning they are putting lots of money behind it.

4. Gen4 is quite capable bike, it has won lots of tittles in STK.

I wouldn't call it a suicidal move as situation is quite different in 2021. But obviously will see how it goes. Redding has been ridding Ducati for last 3-4 years? It will take time for him to get used to BMW, it's a different bike.

7. Huggy_Bear.jpg
    Word on the street is :-

Despite Scott's recent results, Gigi wasn't convinced he could win the title.
    Bautista in the line up to return after two unremarkable seasons with Honda.
    Scott was simply too big for the bike, a smaller, lighter rider being much better suited.

Scott typically doesn't hold back in interviews, so no doubt will tell his side of the story after he has left Ducati (or possibly before...)

8. Who’s losing the BMW ride then

9. Im guessing Toms days are numbered

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Oh well! The guys ridden the coat tails of a lucky season and being able to hang it out and get the sponsors on the front row in qualifying for way too long...

11. Watching FP1 from Navarra this morning James Toseland sounds pretty disappointed at Redding’s move saying he hasn’t got a chance of winning the championship on the BMW

• Like Like x 1

12. Would love to be proved wrong.

But I fear JT is spot on.

It may not have been Scott’s decision ultimately. It hasn’t been smooth sailing at Ducati this year, could be that Ducati wanted him gone and the only option was bmw.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. And that is probably as close to the real truth as we’ll ever get to hear. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BMW is as likely to win wsbk as ducati are. ie, neither are likely.

15. Nicer company car tho

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. I dunno Ducati being owned by Audi opens up to Lambo, Porsche, Audi, VW, Skoda, Seat and RR.

17. But he can now have a mini clubman!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. I personally can't see why BMW aren't immediately winning... I mean, they put wings on the bike for this year, and Blue calipers with MSPORT written on them, I mean, how can race teams not just be raking in the wins....

I'm of course being obtuse, but to me it's a window into a company that prioritises brand perception over tangible improvements.

• Like Like x 1
  19. You ride a Ducati, right ;)

Until Rea retires, as said above, everyone else will be second. It’s an example of what happens when supreme talent mixed with a tenacious hard work ethic meet a team and manufacturer that give him everything he wants and only consider his needs for development.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Superbikes and superstock are very different animals.

I am of the understanding that Bmw are using their own electronics, which is part of the problem. For the reasons why the sbk doesn’t work is likely the reason why the stocker does perhaps.

They’re certainly throwing the kitchen sink at it, but as with Ducati.. we know that budget helps.. but doesn’t necessarily win championships.

bmw also have very little racing experience in comparison to the likes of hrc or krt, etc

they only built their first superbike in 2010. I do think that with three years dev, the gen 4 should be better than it is. But that’s racing

Do Not Sell My Personal Information