1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Refitting The Rear Wheel

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by IanR, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Advice required?! For the first time in my life I have removed the rear wheel for a tyre change. Currently the 899 is on a Abba stand but my question is how can I make refitting the rear wheel easy given that its only me doing it. Any tips?

2. I find its easier if you take the short chain guard off altogether, you can then hook the chain onto the rear guard swingarm cast screwboss and it holds it out of the way nicely.

To re-fit...lemme think :thinkingface: sit behind the bike with the loose wheel between your legs, when you lift the wheel into place kinda push your feet together to form a rest platform to sit the wheel on and then lift the wheel upwards with your arms and feet if you get my drift??

Make sure you get the disc into the brake caliper and don't dislodge any of the spacers, push the wheel further forward than you actually need it, this will allow you to lift the chain off the cast boss and put the chain back on the rear sprocket easily.

Now you have to align the wheel / spacers with the chain adjusters in the swingarm so you can shove the spindle through, lift with arms / feet again and wiggle the spindle through from the rhs, you might have to pull backwards on the wheel to get the spindle all the way through.

Fit washer and nut to spindle, torque up to 180nm? from memory, re-fit chain guard and don't forget to pump up rear brake.

Spin the rear wheel by hand a couple of times to make sure everything is aligned ok and nothing drags more than it should.

Piece-a-piss! :upyeah:

3. i put a block off wood under the rear wheel to take the weight and get it the right height.

4. image.jpeg
    Get a mate to help! Or use a winbag! Just slide it under the tyre and pump the wheel up until everything lines up,great tool for loads of things

• Useful Useful x 3
  5. I dont think Ive got any mates, they describe themselves as collegues :relieved: !!

Good stuff - I'll look at a Winbag or two on top of some block of wood for the future. Pouchers input of using your feet/knees while sat behind the bikes seems do-able shorter term.

Last resort is to ask my 15 year old son to help at the weekend but dont hold out much hope as its not connected to a xbox and he wouldnt be able to respond to his girlfiends text's immediately :rolleyes:.

6. Get his girlfriend to help,embarrass him into action!

7. Screwfix does a version for £12.

8. by the time you've fannied about with blocks of wood or "windbags" I could have the back wheel in!! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ok, I'm getting an idea .....Ill ask him (son) if he can be the block of wood then breath in/out till the wheel is in the correct position. Win Win situation.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. My step-daughter is 17, i look back fondly at 15 now, you have no idea of the tsunami heading your way. Best of luck.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Yeah! I was the same, then my son got me a winbag for fathers day now I can do it faster easier and cleaner

12. Yeah! I was the same, then my son got me a winbag for fathers day now I can do it faster easier and cleaner

13. Seriously, Ill try this tonight, your making it sound easy!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. I use my foot. I place wheel on top of foot and lift my foot or angle my heel to lift it. Whilst lifting with my hands.

Or I sit with wheel on lap and raise my knees and slide the axle in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Just like to say thanks for the advice offered, the foot/knee method worked a treat :upyeah:. Ill be dropping the rear suspension next to fit the R&G crash Protectors so a Winbag will be ideal supporting/aligning the rear when putting it back together. Now that I am mechanically adept I will be installing a slipper clutch next, any advice on that?

• Like Like x 1
  16. How are you checking wheel alignment, are the notches on the swing arm accurate?

17. I checked the reference marks on the sliding bearing against that of the swingarm on both sides and made sure they were equal. I'm assuming that manufacturing tolerances are good on the swingarm/sliding bearing. Is that good enough or is there a better way to check?

18. That's how i do it, was always told not to trust the marks though. You can get various gadgets to check wheel alignment but i have not bothered with them.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information