1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reg/rect Upgrade + Liion Battery ?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Air Duck, Sep 23, 2017.

1. I can't believe how many electrical shops still sell plastic cased fuse boards, despite the law change a couple of years back?

2. Guess what.... we have just said the same thing as me!!!!
    I'd suggest that the regulator AND ITS ASSOCIATED COOLING ARRANGEMENTS have been designed for the worst case of Lithium, so they can take any of the current battery technologies....
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. It's a plastic cover to minimise getting covered in muck and appears to have a hole for added ventilation. Andy

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  4. Can we talk about football now.....
    I know absolutely FA about it.... but based on some of the posts here I just want to join in with the odd opinion, partially related fact or something totally unrelated.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Cross purposes.... I meant that today you can buy electrical distribution boards made of plastic (for your house), despite the law changing a couple of years back.

6. Ahh. Being mechanical, electrickey is a black art to me. Can't see it, can't smell it but by f*** it's got a kick. Andy

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. If you can smell electricity it's already too late, in my experience.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. You can sometimes smell the fear it generates!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The Panigale regulator is the same Shindengen MOSFET that has been fitted to the MTS1200 since 2010 and is fitted to quite few current models including the Supersport 939, M1200, Diavel etc.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The regulator is just one part of the circuit, surely cable gauge is also important?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I'm sure it is and the cables should be large enough to carry the maximum current required with capacity to spare of, I'd have thought, at least 50% but it's not the cables which get hot, it's the regulator.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. If the cables are inadequate for the task, they will get hot, whether or not the regulator is up to the job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. It's more the quality of the connectors, especially as they age.
    This is what has caused the downfall of many +10 year old Jap/Triumph bikes I've seen lately.
    The connectors corrode, going high resistance. This leads to overheating of the stator that sits in your engine oil.
    [​IMG]
    This then burns and eventually goes open circuit.
    Turns the oil into a burnt toast and oil mix.

And yes the cables can always do with being a little thicker than OEM.

Some great ideas in these threads by a few people.
    I especially like the extra heat sinks and relocating the rectifier/regulator to somewhere naturally cooler.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. This is how we did on the 999RS replica: Aluminium battery tray and a bit of airflow.
    Battery tray.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Agreed. What's that got to do with the battery??

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  16. Sorry, I thought we were discussing the safety of charging system as a whole, in the specific case of lithium batteries. My mistake for not keeping up.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Maybe I'm the one not keeping up. Both batteries and regulators have been discussed. You brought up the question of cables but since the advent of the 3-phase alternators I don't think there has been a problem with the cables. Some of the connectors on the DC side haven't been up to it though.

• Like Like x 1
  18. The DC side is Ducatis Achilles heal. If it weren't, Exige wouldn't be doing the business he does.
    It seems reasonable to me that proper cables are at least as important as a proper regulator. Still, I'm no expert so i will bow out now.

• WTF WTF x 1
  19. @AirCon Whachoo talkin bout Willis, you saying plastic distribution boards are now illegal???

20. Aye, but Exige is selling cables to replace the OEM battery earth and starter cables, not charging circuit cables as far as I'm aware.

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information