1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Registering An Old Unregistered Bike.

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Birdie, Sep 16, 2015.

1. My experience so far, A few of you will remember me buying a 1983 Honda XL250R a few months ago, the bike had been stood in a shed for 10 years and had never been road registered so the task of registration began. First off was to get the bike MOT'd ,it has lights, brakes needed replacing but otherwise i didn't have to do to much to get the MOT.
    I googled to see what was needed for registration and so I began, first was to get a V55/5 which is not downloadable so had to be applied for by the DVLA website to be sent to me by post which took a week, having filled the form out to the best of my ability using a guide on the DVLA website I then had to supply a dating certificate from Honda at a cost of £30 a utility bill as proof of address a copy of my driving licence or passport to prove who i am, insurance and mot for the bike and for good measure although not needed i included a copy of my purchase invoice and of it went, two weeks later the paperwork came back with a note requiring a NOVA number from the HMRC before they could continue with my application.
    To get a NOVA no i had to register on line with the HMRC, once registered I had to wait a week for an access code to arrive in the post to allow me to fill a NOVA application form, the form is quite intense and required information I didn't have and each question has a red asterisk to the side which doesn't allow you to the next question unless completed, so some questions were filled in with makebelieve answers to get me to the end, surprisingly my application was accepted and an e-male from them asked me to ring a number to give them more information, I rang and was told before they could process my application they needed a copy of my purchase invoice which I could e-mail back a scanned copy, 10 days later i got another e-mail saying before they could process my application they needed a copy of my dating certificate from Honda which i duly did, unfortunately each e-mail goes to the back of the queue so another 10 days passed and another e-mail comes back asking me to ring the number again to discus vat implications, ( bugger i thought) anyway having rung the number expecting the worse i was told the application had been approved and i could continue with my dealings with the DVLA.
    Now all the original paperwork was sent along with my newly acquired NOVA number to the DVLA and 10 days later i get home to an envelope from the DVLA ( hope you are still with me !!! ) eagerly i opened it hoping to have my bike registered only to find all my paperwork returned with a note stating that before they could continue with processing my application I would have to give them the original dating certificate from Honda, a copy was not acceptable.
    Today all the paperwork has now been sent to the DVLA and i await the next instalment of this ridiculous saga.
    I never mentioned that to get a registration number i have to pay for a years road tax and pay a £55 fee.
    Steve

#1 Birdie, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. It's like a Terry Gilliam movie :rolleyes:

Ten out of ten for persistence!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sounds simple so far, many many simple steps :)

4. Finally the registration documents arrived today, just waiting for the number plate to arrive and she's on the road. Thank goodness it's an age related plate and not a Q plate.
    Steve

2015-07-25 11.54.57.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  5. Yes. The value would be so much lower with a Q plate ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Franz Kafka's Castle is alive and well, obviously...

7. I have drunk coffee in his favourite café in Praha, but the castle was not his :)

8. You are, of course, correct; the castle was not his... But the more I have to deal with bureaucrats the more I can relate to that story...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information