1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Reluctant Starting....!

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by yellowducmaniac, May 11, 2019.

1. Yes, i do. Have done everything possible to make it start better, and then something snapped in the engine, so its off the road again....

2. Ouch...hope you can get it sorted.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Good news that the starter leads helped,`don't rule out a tired sprag clutch when normal starting is still a mystery after trying everything else.

4. I never needed any throttle on my 2011 1198. It started fine. However latterly it would struggle when bike was warm or hot. It started as a slight problem which over time incrementally got worse. This I now understand was due to the sprag beginning to give up. Once I replaced the sprag, flange and starter gear, it was back to firing up straight away.

5. where do you order these cables from
    im new to the 1198 but don't want any problems from the off

• Like Like x 1
  6. And also how do you check if theres a problem with the sprag clutch

7. Agree wholeheartedly about Exige's cables.

When it comes to doing a TPS reset, it's super-simple to do yourself. An OBD gizmo and adapter cable are about 20 quid from Lonelec and the software to then communicate with the ECU via your phone is free. Resetting the TPS simply requires you to tap the 'reset TPS' button, that's all there is to it.

Hopefully this applies to the 1198, it certainly does with my 999.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Hi - who's your local indie? Might have a look at the TPS on my 1198S (although I'll ask @Old rider about the DIY bits).

9. Hi @Old rider - do you have any more information on exactly how to do this (which bits from Lonelec fr an 1198S, phone app etc)?

Thanks

10. #32 Old rider, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  11. Many thanks for that - is the OBD plug the one under the pillion perch (where the DDA plugs in)?

12. I think DDA and OBD adapter may be the same thing

13. Looks like DDA may be the 4 pin version and yes, it is in the tail

14. Ah no, that it appears, is the data analyser plug.

Here is a pic posted by the aforesaid Derek and it looks as though it's the same 3 pin connector as I have.
    [​IMG]

15. Hi @Old rider

Sorry to hear about your mishap with the 999 (other thread). Glad to hear you're on the mend, more important than the bike!

Thought you might be interested to hear that I got the bits and pieces to read the ECU on my 1198S - all works nicely with the M5X Android app. I reset the TPS as suggested. Not sure if it was my imagination, but I went for a ride yesterday, and it almost seemed to be a different bike. Seemed much smoother at low(ish) speeds, and pulled like a train when I opened the throttle. Of course, it might just be my imagination (I hadn't been out on the bike for a fortnight)! Could a TPS reset make a big different?

Andrew

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. That was my experience too.
    I had always seen it as something you need to do if you are getting idle and stalling problems but I was advised by Derek and Chrisw on here to get the gizmo and do a reset and what a difference!
    You sometimes hear on here about a service transforming their bike, well I reckon it was a tps reset that did the trick.
    The advice was also to do it once a year.
    Thanks for your encouraging words
    Amazingly, I am managing with little pain relief now.
    I asked the surgeon if my main problem was going to be where he had to cut through the muscle. He said he didn't cut through the muscle but along the length of the muscle fibres, so the muscle fibres remain continuous. Genius.

17. Yes. The TPS closed position is the baseline that all the fueling and ignition advance values are calculated from.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thanks for that (and @Derek ) - might not be my imagination then! Annual reset in the diary!

Glad the op went well, amazing what they can do nowadays (did you watch any of those "Edge of Life" documentaries recently?). Don't begrudge those medics (and their teams) their salary at all.

Take it easy.

• Love You Love You x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information