1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removal Of Protective Film From Dashboard

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by tzoykas, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Dear all

Although my question is specific to my recently acquired 1260S, I assume it holds true for all bikes with a dashboard that have a protective film installed, so I post it here. If administrators feel it should be somewhere else, please feel free to move it.

So the question is: has anybody successfully removed the adhesive film used to protect the dashboard from scratches? I want to try and remove the one the previous owner had installed to put a new one but since the dash is a crucial component and the plastic is transparent and sensitive to scratches I will most probably need to avoid heatguns and the like to loosen the glue. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

2. I’ve not done it, back in the day we’d use hairdryers to ‘soften’ up the adhesive when removing decals, heat guns are as you point out savage. Still be careful with how much heat though as a very sunny day has been reportedly enough to damage aTFT screen on a KTM 790. I usually rest my gloves over my screen to prevent this.

Your problem may start should there be adhesive left behind, if it were me I’d soak a rag in White spirit and very gently work it into the adhesive, eventually the glue will give up but it takes patience.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Wasn’t MattM behind Speedo Angels?
    His profile shows no activity in over 12 months though.

4. Patience is something I'll definitely need, that's for sure. Would soaking with WD-40 help in loosening up the glue? Would it be harmfull to the transparent plastic? White spirit sounds a bit aggressive to me although being that volatile may reduce the risk of damaging the plastic.

5. WD40 is Paraffin based so yes that will soften the adhesive up, I prefer WhiteSpirit as I’m a cheapskate and have no Paraffin in stock.

As for damaging the screen I’ve no information on that, maybe ask your service dealer they have have more information.

I’ve never found White Spirit to be aggressive it’s just a thinner/cleaner for paint, however use what you’re comfortable with.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I think the hairdryer and warm it gently would be the best option rather than risking something that would attack the plastic. Once it's off then alcohol wipes (glasses cleaner or similar) should remove any residue

7. Are you sure it is stuck on? Speedo Angels and the like are attached with no adhesive. They just press on and you push any trapped air out to the sides and then they stay put by themselves. Dead easy to remove.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Same as a phone screen saver. Finger nail under edge and lift away.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try them and let you know

Do Not Sell My Personal Information