1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Removing Tank To Fit Rapid Bike Unit

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Blairso, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Hi,
    I've a full Akrapovic system on my DVT, which sounds great, however during our European tour this year, everyone who followed me complained about the smell of unburnt fuel I was throwing at them. This was obviously due to the removal of the standard exhaust and cat. I've bought a Rapid Bike unit which self learns and adjusts the fuelling on the go. However the instructions say simply "Remove seats and fairings" and install into relevant connectors. I removed all the fairing panels and the tank cover. It soon became obvious that the connectors in question are under the rear of the fuel tank. I removed the rear retaining screws on the fuel tank, but it wouldn't lift. I was just wondering if anyone has lifted the rear of the tank, and how much more body work I need to remove. I did successfully fit my hands free petrol cap, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

2. Have you tried pulling the tank backwards, I'm thinking it has like guide lugs.
    [​IMG]

3. I have also fitted the Rapid Bike fuel module to my DVT, sometime ago now but if I remember correctly you have to undo the 2 bolts that hold the tank at the front and then lift the front up and slide it forward out of the retainers at the rear of the tank, then slide it backwards and lift it off, I think :thinkingface:. As an aside, I could not fit the module where the instructions say ie: between the rh front bottom of the tank and the radiator cap, as there isn't enough clearance to do this. So mine's located under the pillion seat, if your rider seat is on the high setting you may be able to squeeze it underneath. Good luck with fitting.

4. Thanks for the tips and advice, I thought the suggested mounting point was a bit tight, I'm going to make it a winter project, don't want to miss any remaining good riding days

Do Not Sell My Personal Information