1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Repainting Engine Covers On My 1100 Evo Sp/

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by comfysofa, Jul 29, 2017.

1. As above - looking for some advice.

The hyper is heading for a partial strip down and one of the things I want to do is recoat/repaint the crankcase covers (theyre gold at the moment) so would like to recoat the same. I'm not really interested in doing it with rattle cans as one thing has taught me they look nice for a couple of weeks then it all goes south (well, my experience tells me that) so wondered if anyone has sent theirs off somewhere to be painted/recoated?

Cheers to anyone that chips in...which ironically its whats happened to the cases...

2. Just done mine not so long since. You can get a decent finish using rattle cans but the important thing is to strip the cases of bearings / seals and bead blast them first. If they aren't blasted, they'll look crap again after a short time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. when I rebuilt the 748 I had the engine completely striped and all cases resprayed. Unfortunately the painters didn't do a great prep job and a few k in the cases started flaking again. I think in the future if I was to do another project I would 100% go for ceramic coating. I don't think the prices are that bad and from what I understand it is a bullet proof life time finish.

4. Yeah... That's what I want chiz.... I don't mind paying the money as long as it's bulletproof..... I'm guessing the sp cases are magnesium..... If they xylan (my first choice) won't take.... And... Can you get ceramic in gold....? (I'd like to keep them the same colour if possible) but I did see some dark green cases as louigi motos which were nice... Rich was building a bike.... I believe the dark green colour was used on earlier bikes... Although im not sure I would look right on mine...

5. Get them 'Cerakoted'. Pricey but you'll probably never need to paint them again!

6. How much is pricey?

7. Probably looking at £150 for the clutch and alternator casing. I had a bunch of stuff done for the 1299, including swingarm, airbox, front subframe, clip ons, tank bracket, ignition bracket, suspension linkages, suspension tripods and a bunch of other smaller parts. This stuff is normally used to coat firearms and is very very hard. Worth the money if you want a really good long lasting finish, plus its only a few microns thick, not the gloopy thick finish powder coating provides. If you are interested contact these guys, as they did all the Cerakoting on my bike.

https://www.facebook.com/HiSpecCoatings/

8. Thank you very much :)

9. Here are some pics of the parts they did. The fact that it is so thin, also means it won't have any impact on threads or affect fitting tolerances on machined surfaces, though critical areas were still masked off. Hi-Spec coating are based in deepest darkest Sussex, but there are others offering this service elsewhere. It is a very specialized coating and as such few places are approved to apply it.

20170312_104251.jpg 20170312_150435.jpg 20170312_164243.jpg 20170312_164432.jpg 20170313_094844.jpg 20170313_094856.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. That looks very nice. Might be the answer for SS engine cases...

11. My son drives a 3.0 BMW Z4 Sport Coupe - strange looking thing and you don't see many about? He asked me during the week what would be the best colour to get the brake calipers painted! I told him that he is already driving the gayest car on the planet apart from an MX5 but he should consider a rainbow colour scheme? If he didn't have a 9/10 honey hanging off his arm I would be worried and thinking about changing my surname! Is that a bit non PC?

12. My son drives a 3.0 BMW Z4 Sport Coupe - strange looking thing and you don't see many about? He asked me during the week what would be the best colour to get the brake calipers painted! I told him that he is already driving the gayest car on the planet apart from an MX5 but he should consider a rainbow colour scheme? If he didn't have a 9/10 honey hanging off his arm I would be worried and thinking about changing my surname! Is that a bit non PC?

13. It's pricey, as I said, but well worth it. I'm very much of the "fit-and-forget-it" brigade, as you won't have to repaint them again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Yep - that sounds like just the ticket....ill probably go for that i would say....thanks very much....however my only concern is....and nothing to do with them i might add...

On my 525 supermoto i had the header ceramic coated black...but, within i would say no more than 150 miles, the front of the header pipe looked just like it did before i sent it away...rusty...now im not saying theres will do anything like that but, is "cerakote" a ceramic coating and, does it coat magnesium ?(i think my casings are...not sure though) and the reason i ask that is that i had the ktm engine coated in Xyland (bloody expensive that was!) and while the engine still looks perfect the crankcase covers are magnesium and that has kinda reacted with the xylan and now looks a bit shit....

Anyway...either way ill be calling them on monday....thanks again.

15. Well I had them cerakote both the front subframe and the clutch cover both of which are purportedly made of magnesium and no issues after 1000 miles. It's not the same process as ceramic coating I believe but is ceramic based. It's the chemical composition and the heat applied to it that makes it unique. Give HSC a call as im sure they will give you the technical lowdown. I do recall seeing pictures of your KTM engine and did consider Xyland for the parts i needed coated. I think the two processes are similarly priced TBH. Hope this helps. More info here:
    www.cerakoteguncoatings.com

#15 Topolino, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  16. Yep - monday call then id say....just out of curiosity (side Question) apart from taking the clutch out to get the cases off theres nothing else to look out for is there??

17. This is worth watching. Heat cycling a cerakoted exhaust section.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Not that I'm aware of. You will obviously have to remove any oil seals or bearings in the covers as well as the sight glass window. IIRC chap you need to speak to at HSC is called Bradley. They are usually backed up to the nines with work but I took my parts down there in person and only had to wait three weeks.

19. Ok - looks like ill be pulling it apart this week then if theyre that busy...going to get the radiator hoses replaced in stainless also....

20. I dont think it'll cost " many hundreds " but I don't mind paying for a quality coating...i paid many hundreds for my xylan coating on the 525 and it still looks the same as it did 2 years ago which I'm more than happy with...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information