1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replica Brembo full floating cast iron rotors.

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by FastBikeGear, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Many thanks, we have just three sets left from the last batch now. I don't think we will be doing another batch as have too many new projects underway.

2. I have a 93 SL with about 12k miles on it. How do I know if the rotors are worn out?
    thanks
    handensco
    David

3. I advertised a set on here a few weeks ago, with no interest. However I'm amazed how much yours are fetching on eBay, I may give mine ago when yours have sold.

4. Excessive lateral movement

5. Some brake pad observations for those of us with cast iron discs.

I have just taken out a set of SBS dual carbon pads and they won't be going back in!

I use cast iron discs and have Ducati 999 4P/4P calipers fitted on my 900SS F.E.

They work sort of OK on the street after a couple of applications to warm up but they eat cast iron discs very quickly (which they are supposed to be OK with). They seem very long lasting and gave good feed back. But worst of all the brake dust from them sticks to your wheels and everything else it lands on like shit to a blanket and forms a hard resin like layer that is VERY hard to remove. None of the usual solvents worked. The easiest way to clean everything was to strip the discs off the wheels and scrub for a couple of hours!

I have also used Ferodo Platinum pads on cast iron discs before and they worked pretty good from cold and also seemed OK on a couple of track days and the dust was easily brushed off. I would have used them again but couldn't 'find any platinum pads this time around so I am trying something new.

I have just stuck in some Ferodo CP1 pads which are supposed to be pretty friendly to cast iron discs. They have a much higher coefficient of friction than the SBS dual carbon pads. If you fell you need more breaking power these might just be the trick. So far seem relatively dust free. I need to fully bed them in and get used to them a bit more before I can report on feedback more.

Note when changing pads it's always a good idea to hone the discs to get rid of any transfer layers, etc, I normally just do this with some wet and dry sand paper on a rubber block.

6. I wasn't going to make any more carriers for the cast iron rotors, but one of the forum members has insisted to the point of sending me some money even though I hadn't confirmed I was doing any more. I think with the previous production run I had pretty much fulfilled demand but now I am kind of trapped to do at least one more set. So I will do a couple of extra sets at the same time if anyone wants them.

I had occasion as per my post above to strip the discs off the carriers yesterday, which was a good opportunity to inspect them for wear around the buttons. I am pretty pleased to report that (after 10,000 km on these carriers) there is no measurable wear on the carriers. The bike has now done 73,000 km and I am still using the original buttons.

7. Well as you can see it took me a very long time! I have just completed another batch of replic Brembo full floating brake carriers. I said I was never going to do any more but we had some 7075-T6 and received a couple of orders so we used up the last of the billet and did a few extra.

These are hard anodised and made from 7075-T6 alloy so much tougher and longer lasting than the soft originals which are no longer available from Brembo. There are plenty of good reviews on us and these carriers in this forum if you need to check out the quality of what we do.

The price on these is $345 New Zealand dollars each.

They will fit most Ducatis fitted with 6 bolt Brembo cast iron discs, including:
    750SS 900SS
    Monster M750/M900, S4,
    851/888, 748/916/955/996/996SPS/R & 998 Superbikes

They will also fit some models of Laverda, Moto Guzzi and Aprilias including:

Laverda 668, 750S & 750 Formula,
    Aprilia RSV1000, SL1000 and most late model Bimota's.

DSC_0769(small).JPG

• Like Like x 2
  8. Old thread but are you still making these?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information