1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resin/chemical Anchors For Masonry

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Martin D, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Hi Martin
    If you to any hilti tool center or phone then tell them what your fixing weights etc they will advise what you need and the correct products to use there very helpful

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  2. The walls that will join the gable could/should be chem fixed and ply lined for more strength. ..

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. They never put a bathroom up there then.. or have I misunderstood?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ya gable was also built then. Why the concern now?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Cool.. that makes more sense now...

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. You have done a cracking job

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Even more sense made. Over engineering is the way foward..
    ( to a degree!) A loft I am working on at the min has 25 steels!!! Very simular projects I have done have 3...

• Love You Love You x 1
  8. I wouldn't bother. It wouldn't pass building regs as a load baring floor and if you wanted to convert the loft you'd just run 8X2s (or whatever the span demanded)alongside the original joists and leave them in place without touching the ceiling below.

I bet those old joists are way more dense than any timber you can buy now. As low as they're now eaten or rotted away then if they've held the ceiling up this long they'll keep going a good while longer yet.
    If its a lath and plaster ceiling underneath it might have been replastered mutiple times because it's too much hassle and mess to strip back to the joists. I've seen ceilings that had been built up to over two inches of plaster. About a ton of mortar hanging off chestnut sticks. Knocking that lot off and double boarding with plasterboard gives the joists a much easier time.

Anyway, Chiz'll tell you. I'm only a brickie. We're not allowed to use sharp tools.

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. I'm looking at that and slightly puzzled as to what you are doing/and are trying to achieve? You're building a bathroom beneath the ceiling right, the centre of which would be approx. that old blue light fitting right and the stud walls run underneath the new metal strips which are screwed to the ceiling joists?
    What does any of the metal work do that couldn't be done by lining the new bathroom (and ceiling) with something like fermacell power panel which would be glued at each joint and offer a far greater degree of rigidity without anything like the labour intensity?
    Also, why would you add more timber to the top of those joists? If anything, add something alongside them, they look incredibly flimsy!

10. Hi Martin
    I'm a retired joiner if you fix a 3x2 to the top of the existing ceiling joists you won't achieve the strength of a 6x2

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Very debatable, laminated timber is much stronger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I quite agree, you have wasted enough time already!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Done!

14. Actually, we all have different methods of achieving the same goal. I'm a contractor so for me time is money. If you are happy with what you are achieving and understand your methodology, it's not for me to imply criticism!

15. There's more to laminating timbers than just screwing 2 pieces of timber in uncontrolled conditions

16. boiscc.JPG
    This is the desired end result, good luck achieving it at home!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Im fully aware of that, that's why I said it's debatable, having made and used laminated beams to span barns 30m wide i know there capabilities and strength.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  18. Don't o_O

Do Not Sell My Personal Information