1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resistor / Diode

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Ghost Rider, May 22, 2012.

1. Just found a resistor or diode bridging the two wires at the starter solenoid plug.........What that for, then?

AL.

2. Stops 12V bouncing back thru to the ECU......you don't want that :wink:

3. I don't have an ECU......or do you mean the CDI units?

AL.

4. Ah...sorry. Bike details were hidden. Probably still in there to prevent back feeding into the wiring, unless it's had an alarm of some sorts??

5. It did have a Datatool at some stage......there is a sticker that says there was!

AL

6. That's probably it. The older alarms were protected during install, whereas the later ones are done internally.

7. Ah, well; it can bl**dy well stay there, then....

Thanks, AL.

8. I've yet to see one on a Ducati but I know they were factory fitted on the older Mitos by Cagiva. I guessed they were intended to protect any components that worked on tiny voltages and alarms must also come under that category. :- [​IMG]

9. Thanks Chris......I'll leave it in place.....even with my 97SS, there are still Cagiva bits and pieces on it.......

AL

10. Does anyone know the spec of the diode in the starter solenoid wiring? Re-doing a loom and want to add one!

11. Ignore what the relay is fitted to. This explains the Physics of why a diode should be fitted.

• Useful Useful x 2
  12. 1N4007 is a common suitable diode, or almost any 1 or 2A 600v capable one, they cost around 30p if you have a components supplier convenient. Thing is, if it fails you wont notice as it only suppresses spikes as detailed above. Sensible to have one though

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. I helped a guy in the US get his 999 started after he inadvertently reversed jump leads onto the battery. ECU and fuses were all sorted but the bike refused to start. The culprit was a blown diode on the starter solenoid, it had failed closed and was causing a short circuit. The diode was hidden under the loom tape and took some investigation to locate. After a new diode was installed the bike fired into life.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information