1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Result - Fixed Steering Lock

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Wiseric, Aug 21, 2017.

1. So last night after reading about all the steering lock issues people seem to be having with their Multeys I thought it might be prudent to test mine.
    Went through the process to engage lock and it starts making noises and then goes click and then a louder click and then nothing. Thought "that's not locked to me" and sure enough I can move the handlebars. Tried a few more times in both directions but nutta. So now I'm thinking "crap" I need to take the bike to the dealer to get it sorted under warranty.
    Went out to the garage this afternoon and after a bit of investigation I realised there was no way it was going to work as the steering doesn't go far enough left or right to allow the lock pin to extend out. That's when I noticed that you can actually adjust the steering lock stop, never seen this before on a bike but a quick adjustment and hey presto it all works now. Phew :)

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Hey Wiseric, would you mind posting instructions on how to adjust it please. My steering lock works but I think my handlebars go too far. They go all the way to the tank which seems like it's the only thing stopping them from going even further. Thanks

3. Had my steering lock fail a month after buying the bike, had to get it recovered to the dealer to fix it. The lock released so I could turn the bars but the ecu still thought it was locked and wouldn't let me start the bike, so I was stranded.

Haven't used it since and take an insurance approved disc lock in my tank bag everywhere I go instead!!!!

Don't trust it not to fail again

4. Not much to it really, I've taken a picture from the top on the left hand side as the right hand side is not visible from the top. Both sides can be easily accessed from the bottom and you just need a No.13 socket and alan key. Loosen off the nut and use the alan key to adjust (in your case Anthony outwards) in the desired direction. [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG]

#4 Wiseric, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Only going to use it whilst in the garage - but you've got me worried now. :rolleyes:

6. Awesome thank you very much for the info and pic. I'll check mine out tonight.

7. I have applied the electronic steering locks every time I have parked on three Multistradas since 2011 over 50,000 miles, so thousands of times. Always worked perfectly, never had a moment's trouble with any of them. Of course it might fail tomorrow, but the worst it can be is an inconvenience not a danger. Of all the things one may worry about, frankly that's a long way down the list.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mine just stopped turning on. Always wanted me to turn the bars, despite being in the correct position. Wound me up no end so stopped bothering.

Heard internet rumours about a dealer override but never got it to work for me.

9. Don't want to put you off, there's been a few instances of this, but it doesn't affect every bike.

10. My DVT is 20 months old and 14,000 miles. I use it every day and it has worked perfectly every time.

I'm a bit neurotic about lubing my bike after I clean it, so every now and again I just give the lock mechanism a blast with some silicon spray but I wouldn't know if it makes any difference.

11. Just a quick update on this, my steering lock stopped working some 3 months ago and I thought that it was broken. I lubricated it with liberal amounts of spray oil on all the pivots which I have never done and Voila!! it works again.
    so worth giving it a dose of oil given that it has six pivot points.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information