1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Rev Counter Noise

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by trig, May 14, 2018.

1. My 999 battery was low and it only managed to turn the engine over a few times. I connected an Optimate for a few minutes and then had another go. Not enough oomph from the battery still to start the bike. When I turned the ignition off there was a faint buzzing noise coming from the rev counter area. After turning on and off a couple more times the noise stopped. Anyone know what causes the noise (low battery charge??)and if it is anything to worry about. I have had the bike since new in 2005 and it hasn't done it before.
    Thanks.

2. I've had a low buzzing/clicking sound from the rev counter area too, when my battery has been low. I don't worry about it : o )

Someone will be along to explain shortly.

3. Maybe remove clocks and clean plug/socket pins. Ease clocks upwards, it’s on 3 rubber grommets.

• Like Like x 1
  4. If you do remove the clocks, be careful not to lose one of the grommets into the subframe when re-attaching! A little bit of lube helps.
    That said, the buzzing is normal if your battery is low.

5. New battery plus a cable kit from @Exige recommended.
    Trying to start a reluctant Ducati will lead to a knackered sprag clutch, which will be s right pain to fix.

6. As above...buzzing is due to a low/discharged battery.

7. Fitted new battery and all good now :)

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information