1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Ride Height Rod Ends

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Slowman, Apr 16, 2017.

1. OK so I have a ohlins shock to replace the old showa with and the ride height rod ends are corroded and shit so I would like to replace them with new when I change the shock. A few questions;

1 What size thread are they, I assume one left hand and one right ?

2 Does anyone have any links or recommendations for a better quality part than the original.

3 Are they a bastard to get out of the rod itself ? Should I buy a new spare to make life easier ?

Any info much appreciated.

2. I bought some last year for my 1098. Can't remember the name of the place but it was in Scotland. I will dig out the link later. They were about 9 quid each and the service was fantastic.

The lower one was a bugger to get out. Once I removed the upper one though I was able to pour some Plus Gas down the inside of the rod to help free the thread.

One is left hand thread.

#2 RickyX, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  3. The original locknuts for the rod ends are only alloy and they can round off very easily. Make sure you give them a good soaking in penetrating oil and use a well fitting spanner when you come to undo them.

If necessary apply some heat judiciously to see if that helps tp "crack" them a little and make them easier to undo.

Finally make sure you know which is the left hand threaded end otherwise you could be attempting to undo the wrong end when in fact you are tightening it up. It will almost certainly round off the locknut if you force it too much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. The left hand thread has a groove in the nut and the rod.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. As for the size they are M10, I think they're M10 x 1.5 but you should check in case they're the finer (1.25mm) pitch.

If you've not already removed them they may well be seized in the rod as they tend to do this especially if you've never adjusted them (I don't think Ducati used any anti-seize on assembly) so you may have fun removing them, use heat & penetrating fluid and re-assemble with plenty of anti-seize. One of the ally locknuts on mine split when removing it.

I replaced the entire rod on mine for one that's easier to adjust, has a hex in the middle so you can hold it whilst adjusting.

6. XMRM12 x 1.5
    XMLM12 x 1.5

7. Correct, my mistake saying 10mm they are 12mm, at least the ones on my aftermarket rod are (can't find the original to measure)

What threw me was the adjusting nut is a smaller hex than a standard 12mm thread, the same (17mm across the flats) as a normal 10mm but then they're a special slimline nut that has been made smaller (maybe contributing to the lack of strength that mine broke?)

8. Excellent info. I wanted to order the parts before I took it apart as I'm an impatient bastard and want to put it back together straight away.

9. Just bought the high performance ones from McGill Motorsport and he even included the locknuts for free.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I found mine impossible to free up. better to buy a new ride height adjuster with better quality.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information