1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rider Aids?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by El Toro, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Where can I get that?

2. Do you've a telephone number for my impending operation.;)

3. Cornering ABS? I was taught to not brake in a corner so why do I need cornering ABS?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I’d guess for those who make the mistake of braking in a corner?

Looks good on paper/ help sales?

5. Drivers are taught not to cross into the path of an oncoming motorcycle...but they still do it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Stop next to a kerb, works a treat.[/QUOTE]
    Use that too, but rural riding has a lack of kerbs

7. It’s standard procedure on track at pace mate :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I like to brake the first 1/3 of the corner if I am cracking on, never had an issue, just need to settle the bike beforehand, my bike does not have corner ABS

• Like Like x 1
  9. Exactly, sort the speed, focus on the corner and power out, nothing quite like it.

10. How about fuel range calculator that works?!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. the one on my gixxer actually does :laughing:

12. Having owned and worked on bikes (and cars) since I was 14, in my opinion, the more shit they install in the way of electronics, the worse they get.

It is no good thinking you can ride or drive well if you have to rely on crap designated as 'aids'....they only make for a worse operator.

There is no substitute for using the brain and eyes properly.......

If you think ABS is needed whether for cornering or straight line braking, the simple answer is it isn't....it means use your brain and eyes and slow down.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. I want to see fully powered suspension which moves the wheels up and down positively, controlled by signals from sensors detecting bumps, potholes, etc in the road ahead, so that the wheels conform exactly to the road. This would improve both comfort and road-holding on the move, and the same power system should lower the bike to lowest position while stationary.

All past and existing suspensions merely react to bumps after hitting them. It's about time manufacturers did better than this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. While riding classic bikes with no rider aids whatever, I enjoy doing it all by myself. But when riding modern bikes, I need all the help I can get, especially when I make mistakes - as I often do.

Those who never make mistakes may take the opposite view.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I do get a bit bored with some people stating that modern bikes can ride themselves though.

I don’t know many racers who don’t have it turned either off or on its lowest setting where you’d likely not even notice it.

it’s usually the same riders doing 2minute 14’s round Donington.

16. Didnt Lotus try this system on a road car in the 80s?
    I seem to remember the journalist was very impressed with the ride.

18. You it or lose it ( the skills). Unless your already at 10, then aids must help.

19. I make mistakes all the time, mostly misjudging things. I have braked mid bend but didn’t grab a handful, I’ll try to use the rear brake when I need to. I have had to slam the anchors on in a straight line, ABS was useful then.
    Like most on here I worry about when the electronics pack up and the costs involved.

I have a modern car with loads of electronic shit on it, I have a 44 year old car with nothing (well, electric windows actually) I like driving the old one because I have to drive it.

Edit. I’m not a racer, I’ve never ridden on a track.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I would guess that the vast majority of road riders are not 'Riding Gods' with track experience and things like ABS and cornering ABS are there to help in that 'oh shit' moment.
    They are like car seat belts, crumple zones and bike and motorcycle crash helmets; there for that very infrequent life saving moment.

• Agree Agree x 5
Do Not Sell My Personal Information