1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Riding To Mugello... 2019...

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Turbo1098s, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Hello,
    Myself and a couple of mates are looking into riding to Mugello next year for the Motogp...

So basically I'd like to start a thread on people's advice and experiences to give me a head start and some valuable information before making the trip... I think we intend on leaving the Tuesday before, thus giving us a few days to get there ready for the race weekend, coming back on the Monday...

Anything on routes to use, routes to avoid, places to stop and see, things to take, stuff not to bother with, etc... We shall obviously go to the Ducati factory and museum, the Simoncelli museum and on one day take a ride to Tavullia to take in everything Rossi...

Thanks in advance for any help...

• Like Like x 1
  2. My advice would be to get to the circuit early to beat the crowds, then leave 3 hours after the final race to let the crowds get away. Drink plenty of water too.

3. El toro gives good advice above,,especially regarding the arriving and departing mugello.

I'd also say try and get the futa pass in, runs between borgo san lorenzo to bologna... See my avatar...that The cafe at the peak.

Riding on tuscany is excellent. For me, I'd forgo the factory visit (it's nothing special) and tag a good days riding in instead.

4. My wife and I riding my ST3 and a mate on his Monster rode to Rimini at the end of April this year. Took 2 days (one overnight stop in France) to reach our hotel where we set up base for 6 nights. We did the Factory Tour & Museum as well as rides to San Marino, Misano, Tavullia (had a beer in the cafe where the Rossi Fan Club plan his race win celebrations) as well as loads of spectacular little towns and villages.

As we left in late April we were concerned that some of the high Alps may still be tricky with snow cover, so we opted for the direct route via Mont Blanc tunnel. Whilst we stuck to the main roads and Mways, the scenery was still spectacular. Our plan was to do as much riding in the area we were staying as this worked for us allowing my wife to have a few days by the pool (yes the weather was that hot) meaning I could ride the ST solo with my friend.

I've done the Moto GP at Mugello a few years ago. We rode down, and stayed in Florence. We didn't ride to the circuit though, but took public transport as there were a lot of stories (true or not) of bikes being stolen or stripped for their parts etc. In the end this was for me the best way to do it as we could wear shorts, T shirts etc and not be weighed down with helmets, leathers, gloves etc.

Let me know if you need anything else. Riding in Europe is superb...I'm off to Croatia next September :)

I've got loads of photos but this one is probably my favourite; Taking in the view on the Italian side of Mont Blanc tunnel

[​IMG]20180419_125702 by Steve Bolt, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  5. Just wondered if you did the ride to Mugello this year ? Any advice if you did as I’ve started looking into it for 2020
    Cheers

6. book your accommodation early.....i went this year and we booked nearly a year in advance and the choice was minimal..

7. I went in 2017, Packed the bike off at Manchester on Eurobiketrans and flew out to Pisa a few days later with Jet2, picked the bike up at Prato which is 10 miles north west of Florence and stayed just outside the town in a nice family run hotel.
    I prefer to maximise my time at the destination rather than spending most of the time getting there and back.
    A must is the Futa Pass which will take you to Bologna, ride it both ways and then again, you'll not get tired of it. It's believed that Ducati take jurno's on this road to test new models.
    Borgo San Lorenzo is less than an hour from Prato and all of Tuscany is on your door step.

Tony Barker who run's Eurobiketrans is a great guy and a biker, if he's out there too he'll show you some great roads and he doesn't mind getting a move on. ;)
    The bikes are put on a metal pallet the bubble wrapped.
    20170525_103615.jpg
    Iain

Do Not Sell My Personal Information