1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Analogue TV

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Wrecked, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Will it be missed?

Analogue radio is supposed to be in line for the chop as well. :eek:

2. Switching to Digital TV only in Sept in NZ as well.

3. No it won't be missed!

4. Tv I can live without, the car radio not working would be a problem.

5. +1

Even though I have sky anyway! :wink:

6. Tell you what I won't miss and that's all the massively irritating, patronising, anything-but-helpful 'what to do when analogue ends' adverts that have been running for what seems like an eternity. Talk about creating seismic activity out of a sneeze.. :mad:

7. I don't miss analogue TV but, when they switched it off my digital reception got worse. I bought a new bigger, modern aerial (old one was over 20yrs old) and have added a signal booster but it's still not good, particularly late night/bad weather, whereas is was perfect before the analogue was switched off.

Best of it is that if I stand on the roof (where the aerial is) I can see the transmitter aerial, which is less than 3 miles away.

8. Agreed.

Also, I hate that "Press Red" icon that you can't get rid of on BBC news/sport programmes.

9. Be careful up there, remember what happened to Rod Hull. :eek:

10. DukeDesmo as name suggests it is a Digital TV so signal booster is kind off not working the same way as it was with analog signal.

You can get a bigger antenna, wider antenna, directional antenna all that will work with some effect to receive more of the Digital TV data stream. However signal booster on your end will not improve how many 1s and 0s you catch of that signal on antenna end. What it does is boosts the signal from antenna to your TV or digital box. If antenna got only 70% of the signal then booster will make sure that 70% will get to the TV with no loss and faster and that is it.

People telling you that booster will solve your problem either do not know what they are saying or know exactly that there is no solution but hay lets make money.
    The best test if booster will be a good idea is to plug a small digital receiver very close to original antenna and see if signal is fine. If it is but I not in your room downstairs booster is a solution.

Digital TV signal can be affected by almost anything, wind FFS will screw it up. Your problems might be because somewhere between you and 3 mile away transmitter is a big-ish reflective surface like solar panels or a metal shed. Like I said anything will affect digital signal, angel of slopping roof tops will make it bounce up so anything behind that building is worse off.

Digital signal is a benefit but at the same time if you ask me it is no where near ready and in next couple of years we will have the same race as with mobiles. Stronger signal, more bandwidth, signal that you can receive on the move and some if not all of it will make us change the freeview boxes.

11. Thank Goodness that they do exist - they are there to save people like Dukedesmo.

12. Yes but I reckon the Emu pushed him - all those years of having his hand stuffed up his jacksy, finally got his revenge...

• Like Like x 1
  13. yup, big problem to change when the radio is connected to the dash display :(

14. I don't mind loosing the TV, I do however mind terribly the thought of loosing the radio in the car, when else can I turn the really cheesy songs right up to really annoy my kids, we caught them with "I'm too sexy" by Right Said Fred this weekend, they say they are now traumatized.

15. I definitely dated her once...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information