1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

River Table

Discussion in 'Non bike stuff for sale' started by Roadtrip, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Yes make your own template and then cut to size.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Get some running water in it.

3. River table is on hold until he gets a bit of time between jobs, but you can get your nails done, there must be more nail bar shops then pubs.

IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_1561.JPG

4. All staffed by Vietnamese illegals - allegedly.
    Btw, have heard of the River Plate but not the River Table..

5. Any relation to River Phoenix?

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. I would have had the glass cut and then rebated the wood to match the glass, gotta be easier, just sayin

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Water Jet cutting the glass after to a profile is more accurate than rebating after cutting the glass :yum

PROBABLY!

8. You’ve still got the issue of having to make the template 100% accurate, It’s not how you cut the glass that matters it’s how close you get the interface between the two materials, we all have our own methods though, personally I’d cut the glass and use that as the template onto the wood and route to that line, I’ve done similar with inlay on high end yacht fit outs, ......years ago when life was less complicated , happy days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. You can use the cut wood as the template :)

PROBABLY!

10. Keep him at it Roadtrip, he's definitely got an eye for design and the skills to produce quality...and there's a lot of money to be made with unique pieces.

Want to see a $450k table? Go to 10m30s;

• Like Like x 1
  11. Depends on how accurate your 3d model is.

12. This is as you say his method, I'm not sure but could be because of how the live edge (bark edge) is ? i cant ask him at the moment as he's away,

I do know that he leaves about a 2mm gap between the glass and wooden edge to allow for any movement to stop any tight spots.

#32 Roadtrip, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  13. Some great furniture on there.

14. Roadtrip , run this method by your son, I can’t think of a quicker more accurate method (although there may be one!)

1. cut the glass to the desired profile
    2. Clamp the glass to the plank
    3. Using a top bearing router bit with its cut depth set to the same thickness as the glass run down both sides of the glass using the glass as the bearing guide
    4. Remove the glass and rout out the centre of the plank using a top bearing router bit with a larger diameter bearing running against the outer face of the grooves you’ve just cut
    to leave a step for the glass to sit on.
    (Obviously the inner face of the grooves will need to be routed a bit wider first to allow the larger top bearing router bit to fit in)

Job done, and a perfect fit glass to wood, it’s a bit difficult to describe in words but your son is a craftsman, he’ll get what I mean, also as a craftsman he’ll be able to do this without breaking the glass! :)

PS I just realised he’ll want to leave the bark on the inner edges , in that case cut the plank as normal, clamp the planks in a jig, clamp the glass in place, run down the edge of the glass as above then rout out the remaining wood to leave the platform for the glass to sit on.

#34 Mark9, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Thanks for the tips Mark i will pass them on, I've seen bearing routers he has nice seeing how they work.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information