1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Only Tyres For "modern Classic" Sportbike

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by alexko, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Hi peeps,
    This year I'll have track only and road only bikes setup.
    Since it was probably 2008 when I last purchased a road only tyre I haven't got a clue which one is the best option out there for a "modern classic" sportbike. Think is the only one that managed to "beat" Ducati with the same engine configuration and cc., but with gear-driven timing. Guess what bike? ;)
    Requirments....
    -Quick warm up.
    -Good grip on wet and dirty roads.
    -Not too concerned about how long they last or price.
    120/70 front 190/50 rear.
    Cannot decide between Conti RA3 (£240) vs. Pirelli Rosso2(£190) vs Rosso 3(£250)
    Anyone has some real world experience with these tyres on a sport bike?
    Open to any other suggestions....

2. I had Rosso 11 on my MV brutale and never really liked them . Replaced them Metzler M7RR's and loved them .
    Now got a 765 RS and once the dodgy supercorsa's wore out wacked on the M7's again and they really suit the bike and the ride doesn't seem as harsh?
    Think they were £205 delivered from Demon tweeks in the Jan sales .

• Like Like x 1
  3. +1 for the Metzeler M7RR. Andy

• Like Like x 2
  4. Have Rosso III on my 996 and Power RS on my 999. Both very good and much better than the Rosso II they both came with. Neither tried in the wet.

5. Conti RA3 are fab, my choice of road tyre at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Conti Road Attack 3 fan as well. With the exception of Angel gt, found Pirellis not so good in the wet or on damp patches. Not tried any for a few years though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Metzeller O1 are proper road (sport touring) tyres, better in the wet than cold Diablos in the dry IME, also better in the wet than M7RRs. I have also given up on Pirelli due to losing faith in their wet grip (inconsistent) and currently use M7RRs on my 999 and O1s on my 748, the O1s are easier to trust, are very precise with great feedback and have less foibles plus they are less affected by ambient temp, have a wider tolerance to pressure variations and warm up quicker.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks for the feedback :upyeah::upyeah:
    Just had a look at the tyres curently fitted on the bike.
    Metzeler Sportec M5 Interact dot 2011o_O ...so already 6 years old when the bike was last used by myself October 2017.
    Still thinking between M7RR or Conti RA3...

9. @Denzil the Ducati
    Thought 01s are for big touring bikes like Bmw GS?
    Do you notice any difference when pushed on hot tarmac. I mean between M7RR and 01 like turning in speed, feedback hard braking?

10. Take a look at the Bridgestones, they've been excellent on my 996 and 999 ..... Battlax S21 or S22 or if you want semi slick the RS

Do Not Sell My Personal Information