1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rolex Submariner

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Dr.D, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Been there and done watches. Buy and enjoy it. If you don't enjoy wearing it then buy another bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Here are my thoughts, more experience rather than advice, to help make your mind up:

- A sub wont gain as much value, as it's still in production, vs a Ltd Edition.
    - If you do decide to flip, don't wear it. In the watch world: "Preowned unworn" is a different price point to "used". Keep all boxes and papers.
    - Official lists are always longer than they appear from a Rolex dealer or authorised dealer, if someone REALLY wants a sub they can get one. The price for an unworn Dec 2018 one is indeed right around £8500.
    - If you sell to a dealer though you will likely get what you paid + £500ish, not £8500. As evoarrow said - a private buyer lined up is where you'd make £1500 in an instant.

If I were you and had the money, buy it, wear it, enjoy it. It's Christmas after all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. You could sell those all day long at a grand over list at least.

4. Now if you have a Nautilus at list price on the other hand (pun intended), I'll have it!!

5. Buy a 90's/00's Ducati superbike. Like Betty Swollox I have bought and sold any number of premium watches including a couple of Submariners and made a few bob here and there, but small change compared to the gains my bikes have made, should I choose to sell them. Also hot chicks seem to quite like motorbikes whereas they don't care much for watches (although this changes when you are handing them out), so there is always that!

6. Is his son called Susan?

7. Rolex dealers are now hanging on to warranty cards for a period (think a year was mentioned ) due to the high volume of watches that are simply sold on immediately - if you don’t agree to this , they don’t sell you the piece ...
    Buying tax free whilst out of the country is a sure fire way of a return ... if you ever see a steel sports Rolex at an airport AD , buy it immediately - you’ll be lucky though ..
    8500, maybe being asked but I don’t think they are selling (well maybe just before Christmas )
    Bought 2 new unworn for 1k and 800 below list this year ... so don’t buy it if you can’t afford to let it sit in the safe for awhile

8. Whilst wandering through Schipol airport a couple of years back I spotted a steel Daytona in the AD. Kerching- bought it there and then. They’d had it in the window an hour.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Oh, so this is not a thread about submarines then? I am disappoint!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Breitling Superocean Chrono is the dogs for me, but it does look stupidly large on my wrist!

11. I may be the odd one out here but heres my 2p worth. As someone who values a nice watch(es), and actually am lucky enough to own a few, I would say if you aint gonna wear it, pass on it and allow someone who actually wants it to get it. Grey dealers are having a field day out there at the moment with prices that put watch lovers off. Some folks would love a Sub at list, and will actually wear it instead of flipping it for a profit.

Imagine if you will, Ducatis became virtually unobtainable at list, and the only way to get the one you dream of, and will ride and enjoy, was to pay well over list. Then you may understand the 'lucky few' who actually get one and sell it at a large profit immediately actually help fund the grey market economy.

Stuart

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Dunno about that, I get the point above, but if the man gets it and makes a profit, we'll done to him. No difference in any business. The jeweler has made money, Rolex has made money and he gets a little.

I get nice watches, but

13. Rolex are actually trying to stop this happening. They have instructed their authorised dealers to withold warranty cards for 12 months to try to stop blatant profiteering. Whether that will work in the long term is anyones guess.

If it was happening to something you actually wanted, be it a bike, watch, tv, box of sweets or anything you really REALLY wanted, and couldnt get cos peeps were buying and selling for a healthy profit then you may feel differently.

Stuart

14. Buy these ripoffs & get a genuine Ducati as no one copies them. Not for sale by the way. 20181220_162353.jpg 20181220_162549.jpg 20181220_162627.jpg 20181220_162652.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Porche and Ferrari are certainly declining to sell to customers who have previously flipped cars. Andy

16. My workmate bought a sub this year at an official Rolex dealer and got all paperwork/logbook etc. Rolex didn't hold anything back.

if someone wanted something that is purposefully drip fed onto the market, get your name down on the waiting list, as the profiteers have done.

Don't think Rolex would look to stop the sell on of their watches, as it's them who only release a small amount of units onto the market.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Good. You would have thought anyone who can afford one in the first place actually doesnt need to flip to raise a bit of cash anyways.

Stuart

18. Started in April I think.

Stuart

19. I agree totally. If you WANT it. If you see it as a way of simply making money and depriving a true watch enthusiast of owning one, thats not good imo.

Stuart

20. Buy it. Keep it. Die & leave it to your son who will get divorced & the ex will take it. Nasty. Only kidding but makes you think. My ex got 4 bikes & all my jewelry in divorce. & my Snap on gear. Be-atch.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information