1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rose Tinted Ponderings Over A 916/748 Or A.n.other Duc Superbike

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Macca, Mar 1, 2021.

1. I needn't worry too much as my 1299S has given me a vascectomy. I swear I probably ejaculate high pressure steam. This bike is to be sold after lockdown and I am jumping ship.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. I have all of 888-1199, my favourite to ride is the 1198s, which I'm selling as I bought a 1098R. Haven't ridden the 888SP4 much, 996sps a lot on track and road, 999 track and road, 1198s road only, 1199 track and road...

• Like Like x 1
  3. You put more in, you get more out. I have more fun and connection on my 998S than I do on my RSV4 on the road. There is just something magical about it, the noise, the rawness, the feedback (and the need to carry spare fuses and some tools!!). And the RSV4 is a brilliant bike, but it's just too easy to go fast on. If you are tempted by the 916/996/998 find one and treasure it, forget the modern incarnations.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Rode my recently acquired 916 (97 Biposto) for the first time ever this weekend and completely fell in love with it!!!
    Just riding a Ducati with a 916 badge makes you feel special I suppose. It was the one I always wanted!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Well it looks like I'm returning to the 916 fold. Holding deposit paid on what looks like a nice one, though lockdown is preventing a visit to confirm and pick bike up. Contemplating a bike courier as private van hire seems off limits until covid lockdown lifted as all local firms are saying only trips allowed are per lockdown rules so local & essential.

6. Except in a nightclub your mind is awash with booze and your dick is making the decisions... well that is what I have been told...:thinkingface:

7. Pulled the cover off the bikes for an hour or so yesterday. Haven't ridden anything since October and threads like this are just unhelpful! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. You won't land any fish with holes in your nets.

9. Tell us more about this wonderful 888sp4 that you own.:thinkingface:...p.s any pic's.

10. My mate used to say, "go ugly early", why wait till 2am to try and meet the last few ladies. Go early and meet while still sober ish :astonished::joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Air-cooled Multistrada 1100s then. Good. I'm in.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. What did you go for in the end private or trade, just for the record i collected my landrover yesterday on a trailer....my attitude was sod them all.

13. Private , I was nearly tempted by one in trade but looking at its MOT history indicated it seemed to have lived as track day bike for most of its previously life before going offroad for a while then having a refresh before sale. Its steering angle setting was picked up as a fail on each MOT (damper rubbing) and it had damage to the steering angle adjuster castle . This made me think it was adjusted to road setting for a pass then reset to the steeper angle for track use :? .
    My issue for pickup is I need to hire a van and all local ones have covid compliant journeys only conditions , which would probably make their insurance cover a bit dubious in an off on the trip, that and the areas I'd have to travel though have some high plod stats for covid fine handouts for out of area travellers though white vans are the best camo for such trips.

14. That's a huge disappointment on the collection front, i guess the release date is anytime soon for all the disciplined folks sitting at home just watching their lives disappear.

15. I feel you have to haul the 1*99 round corners and move on the bike more. The 1*98 needed a ruddy great shove and could tend towards understeer at times. The 1*99 is highly flickable but you need effort, you need to move around on the bike for best results. My 916 just seems to go round corners like its riding itself.

The 916 will always and I mean forever and ever, be a cool bike. No matter what. They just got it so right, plus you can dissassemble it in 5mins. It takes 10mins just to get one side fairing off an 1*99.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Well I made a break across the border in a rented van as it was located north of Edinburgh , my plan was I’d look like any other delivery van so avoid being slapped by the rozzers. Worked fine though had a hairy moment when the van put its engine management light on still north of the forth bridge :O. the rental firm said just keep going if it’s running ok. Quick pic of it just unloaded. 2AACAC57-252A-485D-9E63-ADAAD5A99D76.jpeg

#36 Macca, Apr 6, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 10
  17. Best two bikes I can remember owning over ther last 10 years were my Hayabusa and R1, would have both again if my body would oblige.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sweet but who's hiding underneath the umbrella.:eyes:

19. My mate used to always say “beauty is only a light switch away” too :D

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information