1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rough Engine

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by X49Raven, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Hi all,

Just got back from a ride, going out it was fine and running silky smooth.

Put some fuel in from Shell, it was still running smooth afterwards. I stopped off to visit a friend for about an hour, come back, started it up and then it cut out. So I started it again, but on the way home, it felt really rough and not a lot of power in it. I could hear both cylinders firing, but it was very, very rough.

Could the fuel I put in be a cause of the problem or something else?

Cheers

Steve

2. Could easily be water in the fuel. I have suffered that issue. It happens when the filling station tanks are low and the pump sucks up water with fuel. Drain it into a container - you will see the water if it is there. You will be able to make a claim at the garage if so.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. I could do a dip test to see if there's water in it. I'd be surprised if there is though.

4. I doubt you will spot it that way. Its needs to be in a clear container. If there is water in there you will see it as different coloured "bubbles". It needs a while to seperate out tho. Water is lighter than fuel and sits at the bottom - that's why you need the tank draining.

The problems you describe are carbon copy of the ones I had.... If it IS water, you will not be the only one today, they will have had other complaints.

5. Check your receipt for diesel :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Diesel will immediately foul up the spark plugs in a petrol engine and it won't run. :bucktooth: Unless you have very little in there mixed with petrol, but it sounds like you have filled the thing, so unlikely.

Petrol in a diesel will run, but knock, bang, wheeze and do all sorts of crappy stuff* o_O

*Don't ask how I know this, move along. :no_mouth:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. You are correct Keith, I am dense too lol :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Definetely says Unleaded on it. All £6.92 of it. :joy:

I'll check for water though, as that sounds possible. Though would it not affect the engine straight away out the garage?

10. At £6.92 you may well have bought a 250ml bottle of spring water from a service station, as this is about the going rate. :thinkingface: Are you sure you haven't just poured this in? o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. I had a low amount of fuel in there anyway, so just topped it up for the ride. Though I'm glad I didn't go far. :joy:

12. I doubt its the fuel. flashing MIL light?

13. Nope! Nothing on the dashboard. Was serviced in November 2019.

14. So, siphoned some fuel off to check it, this is what I'm seeing. Can anyone see anything wrong with that fuel?

20200105_152458.jpg

20200105_152601.jpg

15. That looks OK actually ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Hmm, that's a relief. I'm wondering if it's because I've switched back from BP Ultimate (97 Octane) to Shell normal unleaded (95 Octane), that might be the cause of it..

17. That would not cause an issue in itself. Leave that bottle to sit for a couple of hours to make sure nothing separates out. It looks OK tho

18. Looks OK. :eyes: Drink it to see if it's water or petrol. :thinkingface:

19. I got a mouthful as I was siphoning it off. Definetely petrol. Can still taste it now! :sob::laughing:

20. Ah, so you siphoned it out. Only good if your siphon tube was at the bottom of the tank where the outlet (& potential water) is, otherwise you're just siphoning from the bulk, which will not contain water.....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information