1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rough Engine

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by X49Raven, Jan 5, 2020.

1. I did stick it right into the bottom of the tank, I will let it settle overnight and then do it again in the morning to confirm it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Set fire to it and see if any water is left lol

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. Just drain it all out and start again.

Although, often, if you have water in the tank a new filter is required.

• Like Like x 1
  4. You could turn the bike upside down and syphon it out that way. :thinkingface: That'll confuse the water :splat: allowing you to capture it. :eyes: It's tried and tested. :no_mouth:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. It can be hard to tell if both cylinders are firing just from the sound, so imho, don’t discount a dropped cylinder quite yet.
    Rough with much reduced power would fit.

6. When @ben Mallinson’s bike broke down last year it was because of the dodgy fuel from the supermarket we’d just filled up at. When the mechanic looked at it, he said he was stinking that bad, they had to open the workshop doors and it was more like gunge...

Did you notice a stench when you drained it out?

7. A way to check is let the bike run a bit and see if both cylinders get hot

8. In modern Diesel engines it’ll do less than that, Petrol will damage the the whole fuel system even if you don’t actually start the engine it’ll be expensive. Hence the proliferation of folk with equipment to drain your tank close to the forecourt. I put Petrol in my old Toyota Diesel in the late 90’s luckily being an old school diesel and me only putting a Gallon in an empty tank, once I’d realised I just topped the tank off no harm done.

9. I'm really hoping that I haven't dropped a cylinder, otherwise that'll be an expensive repair!

10. spark plugs nd coils aren't overly expensive. servicing means nothing and should be excluded from your thoughts when diagnosing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Year before last :thinkingface: that ran on 1 pot quite well, just wouldn't fire on two which was a bit strange...

12. When he says dropped a cylinder he doest mean anything drastic, just that for some reason one cylinder isn't firing properly, ie a bad plug or a loose connection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Maybe the TPS connectors need cleaning? If they even sniff water they corrode and the contact gets disrupted. A simple clean to get the connectors nice and shiny will cure that, if that’s what it is. It’s the simplest and cheapest thing to start with.

• Like Like x 1
  14. id be checking the plugs first... mainly coz thats about the limit of my skills and its cheap...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. And 9 times out of 10 it is the problem. Very fickle things are spark plugs

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Once a colleague and I were heading for Harwich to catch a midnight ferry to the Hook, on BMW (me) and Aprilia (him). He fuelled at Grays Thurrock services. His Aprilia began to run badly, got worse, and packed up entirely on the A12. After retrieval and investigation, turned out the Aprilia tank had a lot of water and muck in it which had clogged the filter. It must have come from that batch of fuel. Luckily I had refuelled elsewhere. This could happen to anybody at any time - luck of the draw.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Hi All,

Just thought I'd update, I've drained all the fuel out of the tank (an entire buckets worth), will fill it today with fresh fuel to see if that fixes the issue.

Cheers for all your input thus far.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Further update: Put fresh fuel in, still running really rough with lagging power.

However, have noticed the smell of petrol when sitting at the lights or when it idles.

19. Try the plugs, had similar not long ago, front plug

20. It's booked in tomorrow morning with Hyside to be looked at. Did check both cylinders, and they are hot!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information