1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Route Planning

Discussion in 'Touring' started by J biker, Jan 7, 2020.

1. For what its worth I'll add my two penneth.

I build routes on Basecamp to transfer to my 660. I use Google maps to shape complex routes, (to find scenic routes I can use Michelin maps), get co ordinates from Google to input waypoints on Garmin. Garmins Points of Interest aren't always accurate and need checking with Google maps, however, what Garmin is good at is finding those fuel and cafe stops (i.e. McDonalds) that punctuate a days riding. All of which can be checked on Google, usually, in street view.

A bit OTT or OCD I hear. But the pleasure for me is using my PC on these winter night's to build the routes that you want on tour without f... Ups. With use this method becomes pretty quick for spontaneous rides in summer.

If I need to improvise on tour, with no PC, then if the way points I've loaded won't do then trust the Garmin, it'll get you there.

God knows what a shaping node is, I'll have to find out.

TB

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. i have one of these

[​IMG]

Use it to write on a few of these

[​IMG]

And put them in one of these

[​IMG]

:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Myrouteapp (paid for version) brilliant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. +1 for MyRouteapp, can plan routes on Google maps(for detail) and convert and compare them to Tom Tom / HERE(Garmin) maps before downloading them. Also have the Gold version for the functionality..

6. That's a great introduction to using Basecamp for route planning :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. There's a few very good YouTube's on how to start with Basecamp.

8. Quote " My Garmin has some strange ideas on routing. Pre planned, loaded route and it sends you down a side road that rejoins the main route. This can be several miles, often only a few hundred yards. Wtf? Can they not write a decent programme?"

I agree, it's so frustrating. We call this the goat track phenomena setting!

I'm now just about OK with Basecamp

I agree it seems incapable of finding a town when you search for it. I usually just have google maps open, use that to find the location, then zoom in the Garmin Basecamp map and add a waypoint, then you can use this to create the initial routes from your start point.

One thing I find really helps is to add a waypoint about a mile up the road from any major junctions or turns or on the far side of a town. That way you can usually be sure it will get you to the point. However I also utilise the 'skip waypoint' action on the sat nav when it keeps trying to turn you around (often because the waypoint was off to the side). Another tip is to add a waypoint about 100 yards down the road from your overnight hotel and make this the start point so it doesn't keep trying to turn you around.

Also download the map to your computer at the same time when you update the maps (there is an option, but it's a bit hidden) this makes it much faster once the map is loaded up.
    https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=yqTQvDbUMf5j1ydnSQZ2qA Windows
    You need Garmin Express installed as well
    https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/express/

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Phone holder arrived. 1st position on bars not sure about it. Going to try it alongside the Garmin holder next. 8154FD52-51EA-43BA-BFFF-C3DF53DCBA57.jpeg

10. Need to find these shaping nodes.

11. Now mounted on the accessory bar behind the screen. Moved the Garmin mount to the right a bit. Clear view of everything and can display actual speed on Garmin and navigate off Copilot. Thats the plan anyway. 41B51B99-04F0-46C1-BAD4-59E4EFC984BE.jpeg 458930F4-ACCD-4E47-B2AF-43374F13DA09.jpeg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information