1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rsf Racing - Ducati Trioptions Cup

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Spence, Jan 7, 2018.

1. You sorted the motor yet Spence?

2. Well it’s got as far as being stripped. It needs lots of parts including a crank and con rods... as you can guess searching for parts or the illusive money tree / pot of gold at the end of a rainbow

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  3. Proper shitter mate. Stephen Li spent a fortune on his and did half a season before he gave up. A bottom end and full engine later mind...and that was brand new out the crate :(

4. Not cheap when they go bang eh Spence? We had two in the space of as many laps at Valencia in 2016 and that stung a bit. Lots of lessons to learn with racing these bikes unfortunately and we paid the price in the first few years of running them. Hope you get it sorted for Brands and if you need anything then shout up, we have a decent stock of parts on the race truck but I'm sure Rick will be able to sort you out.

5. Sorry been a bit quiet. After my engine decided to let go I’ve been trying to get it built. It blew up a week before Snetterton, and with the time to build it was never happening. I’ve since missed Brands Gp as we were trying to get the crank reground. That wasn’t to be due to the damage. So parts have been on order for near a month but due to the holidays in Italy, they’ve not arrived. My luck has run out. Spent the past week trying to find a spare engine to buy. Does anyone know of any? I’ve 3 days to build a bike before Cadwell Park.

6. Ducati Trioptions Cup, Round 7 - Silverstone National

With the return to the paddock after a 3 month break due to engine problems. After a shakedown day at Castle Combe, I thought I’d be ready...

Practice and qualifying sessions were really tough, trying to get up to speed and get the bike set up. I was struggling with certain corners and kept just going round in circles and couldn’t work out what We had to do with setup. With short amount of track time we are given I qualified 26th on the grid. After a chat with James at Ktech he pointed me in another direction. With the New settings in it was a case of waiting 24hours until the race to give them go.

Race 1 - It was a long wait until 1745hrs with no warm up practice before hand. We managed a good start and gained a few places and 21st on lap 1. The bike was handling so much better and the chase was on. Whilst being chased. Had a really good battle with Ben Broadway, over taking each other every lap until lap 9. Thats where it went wrong. I went for the brake and knocked the lever up instead. So I had missed my braking marker, found the lever and had to smash it on to slow enough, which nearly put me over the front. For the next few corners I was having to try and put it back down in right position. Giving Ben the chance to pull away but Michael Russell to close me down. By lap 11 of 15 he caught me up and passed. I didn’t have anything left in my tank to retaliate so played it safe and brought the bike home. Finished Race 1 in 23rd.

Race 2 - Having had a not too bad Race 1, we decided to make a small adjustment to the setup to try get us a better finish. Yet again not a bad start, then lap 2 the issues started. The bike was bouncing like a bucking bronco on the power, causing a near crash coming out of beckets and having to run the grass for few hundred meters before re joining. The track temperature had also risen quite a bit from Race 1 and tyres weren’t coping, even though we thought we had adjusted them enough. The race after this was about staying on and finishing. We achieved that and finished again in 23rd.

It’s been a tough weekend trying to get in the mix, there are no mugs in this paddock. The results just don’t show how much effort went into the weekend from everyone who gets me there, everyone that helps and everyone that offers advice on how to get those results we want.

I’m Ever so grateful to all the team behind me this weekend, those that came and supported me, and to all my sponsors especially Mick at GMR Projects Ltd, this weekend. Great to see you!

Now 2 weeks before we are off to
    Assen, Holland for the final
    Round. So it’s bike strip, clean, check and prepare time. Cannot wait!! Let’s do this!

GMR Projects

Chamois Consulting

HEL Performance

Eazi-Grip Tank Grips

Motul in UK

Quality reflections

Nolan & X-lite UK

Direct Distribution Services

K-Tech Suspension

Conquest Carbon - Motorcycle Performance Parts

Evotech Performance

Hill Leather

Racebikebitz Samco Distribution

Road and Race Performance

WIZ Racing Products

Photo credits Camipix Photography

F463B4A5-7E93-4920-A425-B762CB3EBA17.jpeg

034A59DA-0019-4671-B551-1B2DFED7B7AC.jpeg

BBB9D524-5D97-46F1-BD94-6232932B6958.jpeg

A93B844C-27A5-4EC9-8F41-703D409408EA.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  7. Ducati Trioptions Cup, Round 8 - Assen

After a not so inspiring weekend at Silverstone, we looked to Assen as the boost we need. The past few weeks in the gym on x trainer have been watching YouTube trying to familiarise myself with the track at the world renowned 'Catherdral of Speed'. Watching the clips I felt like it's a track for me!

Practice - It was going to be key to get a tow and learn the track as fast as we can with just a 25 minute session. Following some of the guys that had been here before, we quickly learnt how fast it was. But unfortunately that didn't last long as.. let us say we exceeded track limits a few times, and very grateful for the massive run off areas. With the session complete and 11 laps under our belt, we knew we would have to change the gearing and go and ask some suspension advice from James in the Ktech van.

Qualifying - Fresh rubber in, new gearing on and suspension tweaked we looked to build on the free practice session. With another 10 laps of the circuit done we managed to take another 2.5 secs off, and placing us 25th in the grid for race 1.

Race 1 - With an incident on the sighting lap, I could tell there was lots of adrenaline pumping. Having to dodge a bike and rider before we had even started the race! With not a great start we all headed for turn 1 for the 8 lap dash. It was mega, proper close racing and the adrenaline was now in full swing. With lots of over takes giving and taken in the first laps it was turning out to be a great battle for positions. Lap 2 we knew we had gone the right way with set up as were already faster than practice and qualifying. With the Finish in sight the rear tyre was starting to slide through the fast corners. So the defensive lines had to start to come into play. The pace slightly dropped off but the race was amazing, to come over the line in 19th place was a result. Best result of the year.

Race 2 - After race 1 we found the front forks were bottoming out, so we stiffened the front and for the first time the front tyre looked worse than the rear. With only 1 tyre sticker left we put a front in as the fast corners we were really starting to push it. It's the first time we've swapped a front at a race meeting. Was it to be the right decision... with the times from Race 1 we had jumped up a couple of positions into 23rd. The race started and yet again for 10 laps swapping and changing positions and had a tow with some of the slightly faster guys. Unfortunately though we had made the wrong tyre choice. The rear slides had me out the seat on a number of occasions and unfortunately I just could stay with the pack. The race then was a lonely one, by lap 7 having 19 secs back to the next guy. The race was about finishing the year in one piece, so brought her home.

This weekend has been a real eye opener. Having done 40 laps, Knowing now what we know about Assen, the set up, the bike... will only make us stronger next year .

I'd like to say a massive thanks to Andy, Dean and my Dad Roy for being pit crew and just to get me through this weekend, it's been insane!

Couldn't do this without the support from all my sponsors and those that allow me to race. THANK YOU!

GMR Projects
    Chamois Consulting
    Army Sport Control Board
    British Army
    Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers - REME
    HEL Performance
    Eazi-Grip Tank Grips
    Motul in UK
    Quality reflections
    K-Tech Suspension
    Evotech Performance
    Profibre

Be sure to keep checking back as end of season report is on its way and the plans for next year

Amazing photos again Camipix Photography

IMG_4885.JPG

IMG_4896.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  8. 2092522B-0ECA-4F99-AC4F-321A2CD54F31.jpeg 62DA91E4-E742-408B-A90F-7DC38CB9E35D.jpeg Sounds like you had a better weekend than Sam Middlemass on the #5 bike. He entered the Supersport race for a bit more track time but had a big one in practice.

9. Yeah seen Sam after. We all sang him happy birthday when he came in for dinner.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ducati Trioptions Cup, 2018 - Rookie Season review

For those that have not read or been told about my 2017 story. Read the next paragraph. Those that have...you can skip and move on to paragraph 2 if you want.

2017 was a horrendous year. Having broken my neck, back in a few places, elbow, smashed hand to pieces and having a bad head injury. Everyone thought the bike racing chapter of my life would have been finished. Few months at home recovering and racing was one of the only things that was keeping me motivated. I had always thought of doing a British Superbike support class, as felt my lap times in club racing weren't too far out. A month after the accident, I was lucky enough to have found the bike. A Ducati 959 road bike, 900 miles on the clock and that was that. We planned to test the bike over winter and build the bike slowly over the next 7 months. Winter testing at Cartagena went well, and felt at home on the bike, even after last riding near 11 months ago. 2018 was set to be an amazing year!

Round 1 at Donington Park was always going to be like jumping in at the deep end after a year out of racing. The weather was horrendous, and having never ridden the bike in the wet, it was all new. There was a lot of emotions running around my awning before my race, during and after by all. I was nervous, but so were all my family and friends. Especially those that have seen what I'd been through and what I pushed myself to do to get to the track. Race 1 was mental! The start was like no other races I'd ever been in. If you left a space it was soon filled by someone, and if there was nearly enough space for someone they made the space. It was ruthless! Finishing the race in 31st... I knew I had to change my mindset for race 2. With a slightly drying track in race 2, it was scattered with crashes. To finish race 2 in 25th was definitely what was needed. Smiles on everyone's faces and having finished a weekend of racing without crashing felt like a win!

Brand hatch Indy, Round 2. This track was always going to be tough. Not just for me racing but for everyone else who had seen me taken away in a helicopter nearly a year to the day. It was a damp, cold time of year. Tyres weren't working well, and didn't have the confidence in the them to push on. With a dry line in race 1 we finished the race in 25th on near PB lap times. Hoping for a dry race 2, the heavens opened and wheels were quickly swapped by the pit crew just minutes before the start. It was wet wet wet. Finishing in 24th with a bike in one piece was a Result!

Round 3 took the team to Oulton Park. We were lucky enough to test a week earlier and managed to find a great base setting, and we were already on PB pace. The weather was the complete opposite to round 1. Think back to May, when it could have been mid summer. With temperatures in the 30's, the bikes, the tyres, settings worked completely different. The track was so enjoyable to ride having some great battles in both races. Finishing 20th in race 1 and race 2 in 23rd. We were defiantly going in right direction for the season ahead.

Then it happened...Round 3 we were set to go to Snetterton. So we went to test, as we found it ever so important to arrive at the next circuit with a base suspension setting and gearing ready to go. But it wasn't to be. The bike unfortunately had a catastrophic failure. The engine locked up and spat me off. I got away with the crash but I knew something big had gone wrong.

The next few months getting parts together, money together to get the bike fixed was so so hard. Especially whilst we watched the season go past. I Can not thank everyone who helped in all aspects of the rebuild. Too many to list.

So Snetterton passed, Brands GP and Cadwell. Then I got the call to say the engines good to go! With a quick drive to collect, the bike was put back together and within 18 hours we arrived at Castle Combe for a run out to test. The test went well and got us upto speed for the next round at Silverstone.

At Round 7 Silverstone, the penultimate round to the ever so short season. We were hoping after the test at CC to be upto speed. Head speed was there but we couldn't get a suspension setting during practice and qualifying that I was happy to push hard with. After a good chat with the team at Ktech, we thought we might have a good setting. Near 24 hours wait between sessions and we got to try it in race 1. It worked! and finally felt like we could start to go with the pack. Had some great battles over the weekend. Finishing both Race 1&2 in 23rd after so much time off the bike was mega.

Assen Round 8! WHAT A PLACE! WHAT A CIRCUIT! I can not wait already to go back there! Having never ridden there and only watching some YouTube clips, I didn't really know what to expect, apart from its FAST. Practice was hard, trying to stay with the lads that had been there before and knew the lines. Making a mistake there, could really not end well. Having exceeded track limits a few times in practice, we knew where to make a bit more time up. Gearing changes were needed and suspension changes for a mega weekends racing. To end the season on such a high was amazing with the best results of the year. 19th in race 1 then 18th in race 2. Everyone came away smiling.

The aim of the year in my head was to get into the points. Just 1 point and I would have been stoked. Having missed 3 rounds and to be only 3 places away in last round, got to come away with we've tried our best. This years been really hard... but with this year finished, we have come away with lots of stats, settings and experience that we can now use and go forward. Which takes us nicely into next year.

The plan so far is to race again in the Ducati Trioptions Cup in 2019, we've got the bike, we've got the knowledge, we've got the determination to do well, want to come with us on this journey?

2018 though would not of happened without the support from all my family and friends that have helped in numerous ways to get me back to fitness and racing again. Helping pit crew, supporting me on and off the track, I cannot name you all as wouldn't want to forget anyone. MASSIVE THANK YOU! You know who you are!

Then onto all my sponsors and those that allow me to race. THANK YOU! Hope I've done you proud and look forward to continue this into 2019.

GMR Projects
    Chamois Consulting
    Army Sport Control Board
    British Army
    Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers - REME
    REME Jobs
    HEL Performance
    Eazi-Grip Tank Grips
    Motul in UK
    Quality reflections
    Direct Distribution Services
    K-Tech Suspension
    Evotech Performance
    Profibre

Want to be involved in 2019. Then please use the PM button or email us at [email protected]. All budgets can be catered for.

credits Camipix Photography

IMG_7093.JPG

IMG_7059.JPG

IMG_7081.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  11. 06CFC634-B44A-482F-B53D-E81669390C17.jpeg Morning,

Been a bit quiet on here, sorry.

Winter everything doesn’t slow down here at RSFRacing. Preparation for 2019 is in full swing. Bike stripped and getting ready. Sponsorship proposal is being reworked for 2019. And hopefully we will have some great news coming in next week or so in regards to more team support!

If any one would like to be involved/sponsor the team please pm us. Still Space on bike and leathers for your brand. As they say every little helps. Thank you

12. D240F6BD-A868-49B1-84CA-853FBB04786F.jpeg With 2018 coming to a close we remember the good times, and try to forget those bad times. 2018 has had its ups but also Its downs. If you've read the race reports you'll have seen.

Highlight of the year was racing the last round of the season in Assen. Assen also known as the cathedral of speed, was a truly amazing circuit combined with a brilliant atmosphere. It was a great way to finish the season, finishing in highest position of the year to date.

Lowlight of the year was having a catastrophic engine failure whilst testing for the Snetterton round. The timing of the failure made it hard to locate parts and find the money for the rebuild. Racing isn't a cheap sport, we know this and when the heart of the bike lets go, it's going to be a hard come back. Missing 3 rounds due to this was heart breaking, after all we had put into the season.

But we move on...we have put things in place now for 2019, so should anything happen we have the capacity to get back out on track as quickly as possible

So saying goodbye to 2018, I wouldn't have been able to race without the support from all our friends, family supporters and sponsors. Cannot thank you enough! THANK YOU!

So the look forward to 2019. Having raced most a season on the 959, we have the knowledge on the new circuits, the set up and know where we need to go in order to go faster and get into the points. The bike has been stripped, cleaned and checked over and nearly ready for a winter test in Spain in February. The into the 2019 Ducati Trioptions Cup in April. Cannot wait!

The 2019 leathers, bike design is almost complete. But there is still space available should you wish to promote your brand or business. Please get in contact using the PM button above and we can send over the 2019 sponsorship proposal pack.

Please give this post a Like and share or share the page be much appreciated.

Have a cracking new year everyone!

Chamois Consulting
    GMR Projects Ltd
    Army Sport Control Board
    HEL Performance
    Eazi-Grip Tank Grips
    Evotech Performance
    Motul in UK
    K-Tech Suspension
    Rst-moto
    Quality reflections

Camipix Photography

• Like Like x 6
  13. IMG_5164.JPG IMG_5165.JPG IMG_5166.JPG IMG_5167.JPG Well what's been happening....quick update.

New leathers, New helmet, bikes been prepared for Cartagena, and loaded and gone. Fly out Wednesday for 3 days on track. Cannot wait ✊✊✊

• Like Like x 5
  14. Cannot wait for the season to begin. Had a great 3 days in Cartagena. The bike was on point!

IMG_5181.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  15. Almost time for sexy time! Looking hot mate.

16. What a great race weekend at Donington Park withNo Limits Racing NLR. Had some great battles this weekend and close racing with D Shaw Racing #332, made me work hard and defiantly found some more speed and So close to the wins. Closest being only 0.1s off!

Got to thank all that helped and supported the team and I this weekend. Especially The old man! Thanks to all those that visited and came for a chat! Great to see so many faces

This was just what we needed before the Ducati Trioptions Cup starts as unable to get to the test this week. Cannot wait for round 1 now! ✊✊✊✊

BE4BA53E-2AB7-45C9-8EC7-93683C633F3A.jpeg

2EA55888-20F0-421E-8F31-EF75BD2B4822.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  17. 69455B48-709E-4EE8-9253-9B94A3692AFB.jpeg With the bike booked in for new graphics on the 9th April. You are running out of time to get your brand or business on the bike. Please Check out the link below with the sponsorship proposal

If interested please contact via the message button or send us an email. [email protected]

Taking a well known supermarket’s phrase `Every little helps’ Please give this post a like and share

http://www.chamois-consulting.com/n...rship-rsf-racing-motorcycle-racing-team-2019/

Massive thanks to all those currently onboard for this year.

Chamois Consulting
    GMR Projects Ltd
    Quality Reflections
    HEL Performance
    EBC Brakes
    Eazi-Grip Tank Grips
    Evotech Performance
    Conquest Racing Ltd - Motorcycle Performance Parts
    Motul UK
    Rst-moto
    Sublime Designs
    K-Tech Suspension