1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Rsv4 Vs V4s

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by damodici, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Interesting review, especially if you watch until the end in regards to the niggles with the panigale and lap times.

Seems Fagan prefers the Aprilia as far as a track bike goes due to the lap times and overall stability, but for road and track (plus bling factor) Chris prefers the panigale

You pays your money as they say :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  2. I doubt anyone would be disappointed with either.

The decision seems to come down to individual preference but James Haydon reckoned the Panigale was the best bike by some margin.

I do think the Fast Bikes crews devotion to the RSV4 gets a bit boring at times. In the SBOTY test this year they moved to another track for the first time in years, i wonder if they thought the RSV4 might get beaten at Portimao now?

3. MCN's view of the world....

4. Just to offer another view. I'm really interested in this test with a standard V4 Panigale in the middle. I really rate the Showa BPF stuff, and the standard V4 still has all the tech etc. I think for the money it would represent a better middle ground that the £8k difference they mention.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. That's a much better idea. It's perfectly plausible that the 'old fashioned' suspension could arguably create a more stable bike.

I was reading a Facebook post that Neevsey from mcn replied to where even he mentioned that the S1000rr would be more stable in the corners than the panigale

E0E2AC91-2E68-49FF-BDEC-B73E7745D078.png 709C3E1F-122B-4777-A67B-1360F11C5713.png

Perhaps the S fancy suspension and it's algorithms are causing that?

6. Agreed. Fast Bikes do seem to get fixated on a certain bike. I remember when the Suzuki GSX-R1000 K5 came out. They were creaming their pants for years over it. They rattled on about the gixxer thou for fekin years. It seems they're still on the crest of a wave with the Aprilia.
    I don't think Jerez is the best place for testing the V4. You never get higher than 4th gear anywhere so it can't stretch its legs and hammer home it's power advantage. Fagan has always shied away from the Ducati flagship bike due to the fact it always costs a few quid more than the competition.

7. I think maybe that's a little strong, the K5 was just such a step on and is today consider an absolute classic, look at used prices for clean ones and it says something. It also wasn't just fast bikes raving about the K5!

With regards to their love of the RSV4, it's at the end of it's development, it's refined and 'polished' and I've ridden one back to back with and R1 and while there are things I liked more on the R1, as an overall package, especially in terms of confidence to ride faster, the RSV4 is really impressive. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ducati is much harder to ride fast and at the limit, they always have been so, and that's part of the reward.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Which is why the very fastest riders(racers?) maybe get the most from it. Be interesting to read Michael Rutter’s take on the V4 in Performance Bikes next month.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The K5 absolutely moved the game on. It was a beauty. I test rode one when they came out and was blown away with it's capability. Then bought a 999R, ha ha... My point was FB were still creaming themselves through the K6,7,8,9 etc. Truth was everything was catching up, and passing, the Suzuki.
    Loads of people like yourself rate the RSV4 hugely. With good reason no doubt. I'm sure in the right hands it's an amazing bit of kit. Funnily enough, a mate recently bought a new one and hated it at first. He's not a slow rider either but he's a big lad. Maybe when he's fitted the stronger spring he'll love it.

10. I thought it was a good video. Ultimately comes down to what you want from a bike and what you're planning to do with it. And how much money you have as well.

The only negative for me with the Aprilia is the styling.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. 9 years(?) old chassis compared to brand new development...this says a lot about how good the Aprilia chassis is.
    Looking even deeper into this, Ducati was running the 1098 when this RSV4 chassis was realeased to public, since then Ducati had 3 new models 1199,1299,v4. This says a lot about how good that chassis is. (I guess had some slight updates from the 09 model)
    Which one would I take? probably the Ducati purely for lack of Aprilia dealers around my place...and the £6k difference in price can cover shit load of trackdays. EDITED and boots :) :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. @camelfarmer yep, completely agree. The paint jobs are what I think is putting people off. This years standard RR with the Matt Black is just so much cleaner and nicer looking.

@alexko yep, well Aprilia were well known for making some of the greatest motorcycle chassis ever, others caught on of course but what Aprilia did in the small classes and even the first attempt at a big bike with the RSV was nothing short of incredible for a small firm

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. I thought a balanced review with the salience points but the Ducati for me ,having ridden it a few times, does it for me.

14. I personally love all these type reviews but as usual with tests between any late model superbikes it's subjective. Suspension setup, tyres, the track and more importantly the rider is probably the biggest variable.
    I'll be at the track this weekend and as usual all styles of bike of older tech and down on horses will make me shake my head as they pass by with only skill as the advantage, nothing to do with reviews but it's my take on it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. I think a good set of rearsets(everyone gets these) might solve your boots problem to a degree. Maybe some actual V4 owner can chime in here @Mary Hinge?

16. Ha ha, I wish I could give my 2 penneth! I've not been on track yet (hopefully 5th July). I'm away working and my bike is also away getting a Termi fitted and tarted up a bit for track. The boot thing did get my attention though. I tend to hang my right foot at a dodgy angle and destroy the boot. I've taken to carrying out Araldite repairs to save costs. Bought the Rizoma (Ducati) rearsets too. The same as the ones that come standard with the Speciale.... I'll report back after some track tomfoolery :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  17. And the fact if something goes wrong with an Aprilia, you end up waiting months for spares.

18. I was joking with regards to boots (see the 44T video) :) :)
    First thing I do on a bike is set up or ugrade suspension (not a lot can be done on ERS fitted bikes) and the rearsets and adjustable clip ons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. The Aprilia dealer is Fowler’s who had always been good in my experience. That would give me more confidence in getting one. I’ve got an MV Agusta for God’s sake, I’m already living on the edge.

20. I did, and saw his destroyed boots... :laughing:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information