1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Rubber Insert Front Sprocket

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Buzzsaw, Jul 25, 2022.

1. I was planning to do the 15/42 sprocket change. I couldn't get a 42 rear, so I bought a 14 tooth front sprocket instead, but it is only available in the non rubber insert version. I also have a 15 tooth spare front sprocket, which is a standard OEM type with a rubber insert.

I presume the factory required a rubber insert for good reason?

What's the best way to go? Will the all steel 14t be a bit harsh without the rubber? Will it wear stuff out, like the gearbox or bearings or chain, or give less refinement? Should I stick to the standard?

#1 Buzzsaw, Jul 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
  2. My understanding of that design of sprocket is it is for sound reduction, not drive take up cushioning. Pretty sure you will find there are many Panigale V4’s on track that no longer use the OE front sprocket and have no issues. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I went 14/40 on my 1260. No rubber cushion and was concerned about the same thing. Frankly I don't notice the difference in chain noise and am happy with the result in terms of the subtle, yet pleasantly beneficial, change in ratios.

Had hoped to go 15/42 like you but couldn't find a carrier type 42 tooth sprocket in 530. Plenty in 525 and did consider converting to that but went down the 14/40 530 route in the end.

#3 Bumpkin, Jul 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. I got the 14t sprocket and although I don't have any problems whatsoever, there is a distinct high frequency sound from the chain now. Not a real problem just a little bit annoying at a certain rev range (at higher speeds the engine/exhaust sound pretty much covers it) for those with sensitive ears

5. Yep, I went 14/41 on my 1200dvt and only noticed the gearing change. Which incidentally was probably lower than necessary but was really good offroad…

6. Another here, same mod, no difference in sound that I could hear.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information