1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Running Temp Question 1200 S 2014

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Rich C, May 24, 2016.

1. Replying to my own post here.
    Most of the Aprilia thermostats open at 75ºC, the same as the Ducati ones but the one for the 2008 to 2010 Dorsoduro 750 opens at 85ºC. It looks like it could be a replacement for that on the MTS. I will need to find out the dimensions.
    Item 16 in this pic., it costs £46.

[​IMG]

2. So a complete unit, housing plus thermostat, by the look of it.

£46.00 isn't a huge price to pay for improved economy and power...

Looks like I might be luckier with the 999 item. As you say, it seems to be a conventional thermostat inside a simple housing, so could be relatively cheap to replace if I'm lucky

3. Reviving an old post here....
    Did this work?
    Or are there any other solutions?

4. For the multi running a little cold in winter.... then no. apart from blanking off the oil cooler which allows a little less heat loss the thermostat option of a lower one doesn't exist. I already replaced mine not long ago and they are rather expensive now but it solved nothing. If you live in a very cold country then the only other alternative I see in getting better engine running temperatures is fitting a valve on the oil cooler lines (like the monsters have) which allows you to not overcool the engine causing excessive fuel use, this I will try later this year.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pity, I'm using adhesive car wrap for now, on both the radiator and oil coolerto get 80c.
    Thanks for the info, I like the sound of a valve in the oil line. I'll look into this also.

6. I'm struggling with temperatures as well. I'm not really too worried about running to rich (though it sucks getting bad mileage). I'm more worried about the oil not functioning properly because it does not reach target temps and sludge appearing in the oil.

After reading up in this topic and hearing Peter's experiences, my aim is on that oil cooler. First thought of blocking off the oil radiator, but it's a hassle to reach and not very elegant. Tried finding good valves for cutting out the oil radiator. But eventually I thought; 'Why not use a thermostat on the oil as well?'.

So I found this oil-stat, not exactly cheap but a very elegant solution in my opinion. It protects oil from overheating in every condition and does not require any user interaction. What are your thoughts?

7. Baulky, not sure you got the room for it.

8. I think we have enough space around the oil radiator, not sure if your linked thermostat is that much smaller. A lot cheaper though, found more options on this page.

Here is an image from when I was repairing radiator debris damage. Will have to check on actual clearances in all steering positions.

[​IMG]

9. send me a picture please of your constand adapters

10. I covered the complete oil cooler this morning, and 2/3 of the radiator I still only got 70c. It was only 5c outside though.

From this, I don't think that fannying around with oil temp circuits isn't going to get the desired result.

Its got to be a new thermostat with a higher opening point I think, but nobody has found one that fits yet.

11. Hmm, I tried it before. Just never completely packed it. I didn't find any difference in temperatures as well. Thermostat replacement would be elegant, otherwise I'm going with plan B. Designing a laser-cut metal radiator cover that can be placed between my radiator guard.

12. stand Piccy?

13. Thank You very much.:upyeah::upyeah::upyeah:

14. My MTS1200S 2010 seems to be suffering with a too high running temperature, it warms up fairly quickly this is especially so when riding through congested areas in the summer. Fans kick in around 105'C to bring temperature back down again, course neither fans nor water pump are running when the bike's turned off. As far as I know the coolant has never been changed. I did suspect that the thermostat is the problem. After taking it out though and sticking it a pan of water it slowly starts to open and opens fully before reaching boiling point. Will strip out the radiator now and give it a flush through before installing and filling up with new coolant. I have new thermostat on hand (genuine Ducati at a cost of euro 167 ) and a Chinese exchange rad bought last year some time from eBay that cost less than the thermostat. Anybody else had over heating issues? If so what was the cure?

15. Some very early 1200 Multi's had faulty rads where the core was collapsed/blocked and these were replaced by Ducati. If yours was one of these it probably would have showed itself long ago.

If memory serves, the fans should kick in at 103 degrees and the temp. will stay above this level in traffic on a hot day until a stretch of open road. From what you've described it sounds like you have the normal state of affairs and no problem. - "They're all like that". :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. If it was supposed to run cooler, Ducati would set the fans accordingly.
    The advantage of allowing it to reach over 100 degrees is that water that has accumulated in the oil from condensation can boil off.

17. Sounds normal to me - I've owned four Testastretta engined bikes now and they all do the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Cheers, just seems to be more noticeable when I was on holiday in Italy last year, mind you ambient temperatures were around the 40'C mark. Changed the thermostat now in any case along with the coolant. Only drained out 1.5 litres and it's taken nearly 2 litres not including the expansion tank. Will run it up once I get the front end back together.

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information