1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rusted Exhaust Nut Removal

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by West Cork Paul, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Looks like you’ve your hands full with that one:astonished: that a crack I see??

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Looks fine, just get the fairing back on - nothing to worry about :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. No, phew, I too thought that when I saw the photo but on closer inspection no.

4. See, I was right - what do I win :D

5. A bag of wotsits:)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Think I might be needing one of these for the rear wheel on my 1098.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. If it wasn’t for pesky rust, it really has been spot on.
    It runs like a ( Diesel) sewing machine! :eek:
    ( 2004, last of made in japan, as opposed to newer made in Thailand) :).

• Like Like x 1
  8. I had an '88 which had been abused before I got it anything that went wrong in suspension could be adjusted, skimmed the front discs and had to replace the front oi seal, never missed a beat otherwise :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  9. That’s nothing, I drove one through an Active volcano during an Alien invasion and passed through a black hole!

Mild scorching - nothing a bit of T-cut didn’t fix :yum

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Did you do it on one wheel? :thinkingface::D

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Funny you should mention it - there’s an old Indian trick.....

DAA45573-68D3-4C6F-BB10-714B02BD4398.gif

• Like Like x 1
  12. Is this all sorted, I've just been through half a dozen threads that don't have an ending.
    Steve

13. What:astonished:. I hate that too Steve. I know I posted somewhere about it being sorted as I remember uploading the photos of the heat on the stud, I could have sworn that was in this thread:thinkingface:.

Anyway, end result after heat treatment was the studs came out of the head rather than the nut come off the stud.

New studs complete with copper nuts were ordered and delivered, copper greased and inserted into head. All good now.

As an aside, as they were so corroded and stuck on and as the rest of the bike looks as though the previous owner never rode in the wet it did occur to me the front exhaust had never been off in the 11 years the bike’s been in existence. As the exhaust needs to be removed to do a belt service has it ever had a belt service? The service book says yes? Evidence seems to indicate otherwise. An official Ducati dealer wouldn’t be that unscrupulous would they :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information