1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Sat Nav Mount For Garmin Zumo Xt

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by dddd, Jul 19, 2022.

1. The Zumo is also small and light enough to go in a pocket, but I just chuck it under the back seat if I remember to take it off.

2. Likewise - I did 2100 mile around Europe last month and left the Zumo on the bike with Zumolock except for overnights.
    Zumolock is not perfect - but is way more discreet IMO.

[​IMG]

upload_2022-7-22_20-34-28.png

3. My friend recently had a horrific accident in Spain because he was distracted looking down at his handlebar mounted sat nav. I have my Zumo XT on the mount above the screen which allows a form of vision whilst glancing at it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Sorry to hear Andy, hope things work out.

It's an option, but the least favoured mount position for sure. I'm not a fan of nav devices on bikes full stop, but seems the way these days.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sorry to hear about your mate.

I have a mate who no longer rides dues to a similar accident about ten years ago. A thankfully, glancing head on, rather than a full head on, with a Mitsubishi L200 pick-up. His leg injuries were made worse by his right leg knee slider which was fired into his lower leg completely smashing both tib and fib. I removed the sliders I had at the time and chucked them in the bin. He was helicopter airlifted to hospital in Middlesbrough, Preston had poor weather otherwise he would have gone there. A blessing as apparently his leg would have been amputated at Preston whereas Middlesbrough, so I was told, has a great trauma unit where they effectively started down the course of rebuilding his leg.

Food for thought and something that crossed my mind this weekend when my XT kept playing silly buggers and changing the screen, cancelling the current route and loads of other irritating things due to heavy Welsh rain forming droplets on the touch sensitive screen. Is there any way to fix that? Did have to do a few corrections but having my GF on the back at the same time made me especially cautious/wary as to where and when I did that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The effects of heavy rain on a touch sensitive screen has, my memory is telling me, been a topic of discussion on here. Sadly that same memory is not telling me if there was a resolution to the problem. I'm also sure I've recently seen pictures of aftermarket and homemade screen shades posted. Perhaps something like that would deflect the rain as well ? Andy

7. Food for thought indeed, i was happy with mine down on the handlebars until i read that. Can anyone speak to the vibration issues (i thought with the bracket spanning a distance there would be more) and the access to the screen mover?

#27 johnny, Jul 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
  8. I have a TT550 Rider on the Iconic high level mount, no issues with getting to and using the Screen adjuster, there is some vibration (more of a wobble) on the Screen but mainly due the state of the roads in the South East than the mount. It uses 4 bolts, two on each side to it is a good solid mount to the bike.

9. Just fitted the Iconic mount with the XT. no issues when adjusting the screen and no vibration. Its perfect.

10. Cheers for the tip about the Zumo XT lock. Ordered one from eBay, it arrived today, and is now fitted for my upcoming Europe trip. It'll save me some mucking about when stopping for fuel, coffee, lunch etc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The XT is far better than the Zumo 590 I had previously, hardly noticeable and probably a non issue for those that haven't experienced it with a heavier GPS unit. Same mount, same bike. The XT is significantly lighter and I'm pretty confident that this is what cuts the vibrations down. It's not the mount but the design of the the screen adjuster that causes the looseness that leads to it shaking. Of course this may vary from bike to bike, design of the adjuster on the V4 probably differs to that of the 1200/1260 DVT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I had my unit replaced due to it changing in heavy rain. They suggested not fitting a screen protector and also having the unit a bit more vertical. I also think the screen spacers don’t help as drops seem to be thrown under and then onto the screen.

Since this I’ve only had it happen a couple of times, not going crazy like it was before

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Well, I have a screen protector on mine, sort of suspected that this might come into it, as well as screen spacers. Will maybe try the bit more vertical option first, thanks for the heads up @Twin4me :upyeah:

14. If it’s any help I’ve not noticed any issues with scratches without the protector

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Sorry Anyone with a V4S Multi show how you access the screen mover? Thanks

16. It’s way better in terms of vibrations than the 590 but at full extension of the screen it still does so opted for the touring higher screen that don’t have to raise it that much

17. Screen mover works fine even though it’s kind of out of view.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information