1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Satnav Advice

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Pembroke Boy, May 17, 2015.

1. I'm minutes from Forest Row in Hartfield.

2. You dont need any adapter, just use the battery connection terminals and wire to the ready to go outlet. I think I used insulation tape ;)

3. You dont need any adapter, just use the battery connection terminals and wire to the ready to go outlet. I think I used insulation tape

is that a foreign language :sunglasses:

4. when i get it i will pm you cheers mate

5. I myself just soldered directly to the satnav lead and used heatshrink tubing to be tidy.

6. thanks Bradders but i know i couldnt do that ,,but i'm good with crayons :grin:

7. Work in marketing then? ;)

8. Nope... Government :tearsofjoy:

9. Have a look here at my video and you'll see. The older MTS cable was in a similar position but lower down under one of the left side panels as I remember....

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hi,
    I in a bit of a position (nice position) where am buying a 2013 multistrada s from a chap in England and am flying over from Northern Ireland to pick it up and ride home. But the thing is I have a Tom Tom 400 and I need to be able to connect it when I arrive and leave quickly. Is there any type of fitting I could get and fit on my satnav before leaving to make this a much easier job?
    Thanks for any and all help!!

11. A standard handlebar mount will be your easiest bet. I'd ask if he's added anything to the satnav power feed though. I for example have mine hooked up to a dual USB thing and if he's done similar, you'll have power all ready for the ride too.

12. Hi, Thanks for the reply.
    My Tom Tom is literally wired straight to the battery of my existing bike so I have just the bear wires and no connectors on them. I have the mount for the bars buts it the getting power to it is my concern.
    Cheers

13. On the multi, there is a dedicated satnav power supply behind a panel on the left (many threads on here). If the current owner can answer your question as to wether he has anything hooked up to that, it may solve your problems instantly. Failing that, the battery is accessible in under a minute so you could just hard wire for the return trip and worry about the switched satnav feed later.

Get some wire cutters and chop your satnav ring terminals connectors into U shapes so you can just loosen off the screw terminals and slip them in without disconnecting the battery.
    *edit* - Just read your bit about having bare wires and no connectors. In which case, just slip the wires under the battery terminals for the ride home. Where are you collecting from?

#174 JH_1986, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  14. There’s a Hella type 12V socket under the rear seat on the outside. You could get a Hella to Cigarette lighter adapter and then use a car adapter to USB or otherwise to power your TomTom?.

Alternatively connect your bear wires into a Hella plug (local auto factors) and away you go. Just sit on the cable for your trip home to NI.

15. Can't you just run the Tom Tom off its internal battery for the trip back and worry about it later? The battery should last the trip.

16. Hi,
    I like your video but the hard part is exposing the wires from under the hard plastic shroud and then determining which wire connects to the red or black cable on the sat nav.
    I have a tomtom 400 rider with a red and black wire. No matter which way round I connect the cables (soldered) my sat nav will not power up. If I use the plug wire from a socket in the house it works fine. What am I doing wrong?
    By the way as far as electrics and mechanicals go, I'm a total numpty. So, very step by step basic instructions please.
    Thanks

17. The bikes wiring is probably only live once you power the bike on. It stops a gps from killing the battery.

18. I have a garmin 510 ducati performance sat nav with mount cradle if you are interested, only reason I'm selling is that I prefer tomtom

19. It is only live on power on. I can't recall which way round they go but I've done mine and another forum members and it's working fine. Switch bike on and hold wires together and you'll see it start charging. Then remember which way round it was and get soldering.

It's a really quick job and dependant upon where you are you may even be able to ask a local forum member for some help. I did one guy's multi on my driveway after work and was donated some beer [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information