1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared As Hell, 1098 Throttle Stuck Wfo !

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by saddleonup, Feb 13, 2019.

1. mine kept accelerating until i blipped the throttle

2. WOW! I would not like that to happen to me...

3. roller and throttle valve return spring OK?

4. Sounds like a spring has snapped not pulling the return back. But checking your throttle cables are free is perhaps the first thing, especially if they are gummed up with old grease, they run fairly close to the radiator and can get hot there, also if someone has fitted a rad guard this can sometimes pinch the cables to the frame. Remove the twist grip and pull the pull and push cables to see if any binding can be felt. Also the cables should be adjusted in tandem so that they have equal movement as this could affect the throttle if the return is binding in the housing

5. Yes looks like it is sticking Butterfly valves, and the return throttle cable was adjusted with too much free play. The bike is fitted with Race ECU, Termignoni exhaust and AIR-CLEANER. The air cleaner being essentially steel mesh and has let dirty water spray coming off the front wheel in to the air box and Butterfly valves. Time to get a finer filament air filter ! Thanks to all the reply's I was able to zero in on the problem quickly - Thanks ..... PS make sure you take all of the free play out of your return throttle cable & twist grip.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Hi, I've had a faulty TPS on my 1098, unfortunately in the middle of France. Initially the bike will just die if you are riding when the TPS dies. No stuck throttle. Once you've cycled the ignition, it goes into limp home mode i.e full rich mixture as it doesn't know the relative position of the throttle. The likely course of your stuck throttle is mechanical. Cables, cam in throttle housing on handlebar, linkage on throttle bodies or the throttle bodies themselves.

7. Went out on my 1098R yesterday and this happened to me too.. proper pants filling moment... after turning it off at the side of the road and calming down it was fine for the remaining 40 miles home (although i did frequently roll off to make sure it was dropping revs... this happened on my 999s years ago a few times and a problem was never found... my question is what should i do? Are the checks for the butterfly valves simple to do for someone who's not massively mechanically minded but happy to give it a go? Or should I be giving MR a call?

8. frazzle. My sticking throttle turned out to be caused by the race Air filter (just fine mesh, No paper or foam) it was letting dirty water spray into the air box, this made the butterfly valves stick. I checked the return throttle cable free play - by holding one of the butterfly pulleys with my hand with the throttle wide oppen , then closing it using the twist grip but keeping some resistance on the butterfly pulley. When the twist grip was fully shut I could still feel some free play in the throttle butterfly pulley- indicating the return cable had some free play - so I adjusted the free play with the adjustable mechanism which is part of each cable. The problem has never happened again once I did that. It appears what was happening is when I shut the throttles - the butterfly valves would only shut as far as the return cable would pull them shut (the butterfly's where sticking so hard that the return springs wouldn't shut the valves fully closed and the free play in the cable let the throttle butterfly valves stay open 5mm.....

#28 saddleonup, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 2
  9. Thanks dude, im gonna have a little tinker with it next weekend when ive got a bit if time, im presuming its just got too much free play? Ironically it was my first ride since the annual service too.. if I can't see anything then ill get the dealership to look at it for peace of mind..

• Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information