1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scary Pani Theft

Discussion in 'Stolen Bikes/Parts' started by Ducati Dave, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Sorry but this one I have 0 simpathy.

Highway code states to not do it, common sense states to not do it, insurance states to not do it. I think there was enough warning.

2. Sadly our car doesn’t allow us to lock it if the other key is in the car. We therefore can’t leave it running and lock it. We have to just use a bit of elbow grease on the scraper.

I am aware though, that leaving it unlocked and engine running is beyond stupid.

Sadly it sounds like she’s on finance for it which means they’ll be coming for the full balance soon (they’re the owner so they get notified in the event of it being stolen or written off). They won’t take any crap and will want their money very quickly, in full.

Had it myself when I wrote off a bike on tick. Insurers were slow paying out but the finance company wanted full payment pretty much immediately as their asset is now gone.

That’s only on Hire Purchase though and not personal loan.

3. Yes I agree that it's perhaps not the smartest thing to do but be honest - we've all done it. The car was on her driveway and it was 06:40 - having 'zero' sympathy is bit harsh mate IMO... Most of us just aren't expecting that kinda sh*t at that time of day.

Ah that's not gonna be handy, thanks for the info I'll pass that on as she'll probably need to know what's coming next! Thanks for the info :upyeah:

4. Just pour warm water on the windscreen. I’ve been doing it for years. It’s nonsense that it will crack or cause damage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Is it just me but the insurance companies are taking the pi$$
    My garage is 5 minutes walk up the street but often come home first to wash the bike, park it outside have a coffee or a P ... or both, then go and wash it

6. Just use the app on your phone to heat the car and defrost your windows before you even leave the house! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. With keyless bikes what would an insurance company say in this scenario:
    Fill up at petrol station, electronic steering lock on. Jump off and pay in kiosk. Walk back to bike. Get near, then scrote jumps on and rides off.
    Security measure was in place & you have key on your pocket!!

8. Simple this one. My insurance stipulates that all declared security should be in place and armed when bike not in use, when at home that means the same plus in garage.
    At a stretch I could argue that it was in use and I did minimum but that would be war.

Read small print.

9. Maybe time to try a proper insurer ! Bemoto

#49 Hyperextended, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2017
  10. Sadly no, never leave engien running and car unattended. Many other things can happen, kid goes in, stupid kid goes in, drunk goes in, FFS american thing can happen when it jumps in to gear as gear box is shut.
    None of it will happen when you plan for it. Ever.

11. The poor woman, i can only imagine how she feels now. Most stupid comment of the year incoming - we should live in society where you can do this with no fear of some lowlife stealing something you work hard to afford.* Outrageous really she still has to pay for the car, however somebody has to. I guess she should of said she was jumped for it, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

*this is never going to happen

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hmm, my account would've been that I was mugged for my keys by some Scrote with a knife, as I went to get in my locked car...

13. My car old and cheap.

14. Latest is she's going to sell her house cheap and quick as she needs a car to get to work so has to buy another one, plus needs to repay the finance company who are already on her back, and doesn't have enough equity in the house or enough salary to increase her mortgage to raise the cash - no savings - what a nightmare.

Ah but you are old and wise grasshopper! From what I hear she just freaked and reported it to the cops immediately who told her to report it to her insurers immediately - which she then did. I guess if she'd have had any idea what was ahead of her she may've changed her story but I don't know her so no idea mate.

15. Let's face it, you could could tell the police anything. It not like they're ever going to investigate it!: unamused:

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. I used to be in the motor trade, (for 20 odd years), I have seen it 1st hand many times, from hot water, even from heater demist heating screen unevenly, usually but not always it stems from prior damage, ie - a small screen chip or scratch creating a stress point, I always defrost screen with cold or very slightly warmed water.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Ducati Insurance has it as with them now, eBike has it, Carole Nash has it.

Try insuring multiple bikes in London they change tune badly then

• Like Like x 1
  18. Where did you get that info from ?

I’m not sure that is correct ? Been lamping rabbits for twenty years and never heard of that

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Not just London. I’ve always had the 1/2mile restriction where they won’t pay out if it wasn’t in a locked building.

20. Me too and I'm out in the sticks. It used to be that it had to be locked in a garage between 10pm - 7am if within half a mile of home. Then about two years ago they changed it to all the time. Could be a costly oversight if you don't read your policy thoroughly.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information