1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scorpion Ii's - Early Removal

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by freshage, Jan 7, 2021.

1. I've done 3,000km on the bike now, and the last thing which is bugging me big time... The shitty trail tyres they put on from factory.

I've been thinking about getting some pilot road 5's on and just donating the scorpions to the tyre guy (unless some mug wants to buy them here in the Netherlands).

My question is this, aside from the road 5's, any other suggestions? I will not be trail/dirt riding. So the sticker the better. And wet performance is a must.

2. Metzeler Roadtec 01 SE. Not a sticky sports tyre like the M9RR but surprisingly not that big a compromise for the better mileage. (1st generation 1200 Multistrada) Andy

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Excellent in the wet too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I’m on my third set of Road 5s and have been really very pleased with them. I would agree with the MCN comment about them moving around a bit, particularly under heavy braking, that I’ve noticed more as my pace has picked up.
    Wear is good though I did scrub the shoulders off a nearly new front on a 2000 mile Scotland tour after some spirited riding fully loaded. The first set lasted 6000 miles easily tho.
    A bonus to the Michelin R5s is that you can repair one puncture (not sidewall) with a professional internal repair with no speed limit. It’s due to the carcass design and how it holds its shape even at high speed. I don’t think any other manufacturer allows that, unluckily I’d picked up 2 punctures 6 weeks apart on the same road
    I enquired with local tyre supplier about the GT version but was told it’s a more touring profiled tyre that is more stable for lots of upright motorway miles. I can’t find anything that confirms that in Michelin’s tech specs so will call their tech department to find out before I decide.
    I’m very tempted to try the Metzler Roadtec SE 01’s after reading the MCN review tho ...

5. I’m a Metzeler fan boy but their tyres are marmite for some people. I run 2 sets of wheels for my 1st generation 1200 Multistrada, Roadtech 01s for touring and M9RR’s for scratching. Andy

6. For average riding in all weather, Road 5, Angel GT2 an Roadtech 01.
    For more lean angle and also good in wet, Rosso III's

7. Keep the old ones for when you sell the bike...?

Mind you I think I've got an old front one in the shed!

8. My Scorpion Trail 2’s will stay on my stock wheels and go into storage when the new wheels arrive; I have a set of Rosso Corsa II’s waiting for them, which will likely be overkill for the street but more suited to spirited canyon riding than the DOT race tires I’ve been running (and mostly wasting, as I’m not getting them to the temp where they stick the best).

9. Changed the Scorpions for Road5s before they were halfway worn. They were in my shed until recent house move whereupon they went to the dump. Another new pair of Road5s waiting to go on, purchased prior to my 2020 tours that never happened.

Happy with Road5s, tried the Roadtecs on my last bike but I'm used to the Michelins so came back to them. Good allround performer.

#10 Bumpkin, Jan 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Another huge thumbs up for the Metzeler Roadtec 01 SE. Best tyre I’ve had on a bike, bar none. Amazing in the dry, surprisingly reassuring in the wet, these are my new go to tyre now.

2F665665-B5A5-471B-9107-CA724E4B09E8.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information