1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scotland

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Tomo76, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Yes Makays own the B&B, lazy crofter bunkhouse, the self catering cottage behind that, the shop and the petrol station. Parking is in the public car park on the corner opposite all of them. There are 2 electric car charging points there as well.

2. Actually I was correct the first time. If I may explain. My sentence was a contraction. The full form would have been "Do not the Mackays own also run the Spar shop and the fuel pump across the road?" That is grammatically correct (though the position of the word "also" is debatable).
    Correct use of the auxiliary verbs "does" and "do" is dependant on the contexts of subject and tense. Where the subject (Mackay(s)) be singular and the third person, the auxiliary verb must always be "does". If the subject(s) be plural or multiple and anything other than the third person, the auxiliary verb will always be "do".
    By using the plural "Mackays", I was referring to clan Mackay in general, the whole family however many persons that may comprise (and there are lots of them, large and small, all ages, I've seen them) therefore "do not" abbreviated in my case to "don't" is the correct form. Had my subject been one individual Mackay in the singular referred to by forename (Donald, Wee Douggie, Mary Doll Mackay etc.) the correct form of abbreviated auxiliary verb would have been "doesn't". :bucktooth:

Eg.: "Doesn't Wee Douggie Mackay [singular] have school today, the skiving little fecker?"
    Or: "Don't the Mackay bairns [plural] make the most horrendous racket when you get them all altogether?
    And: "I [first person] don't think a kilo of Lorne sausage and half a bottle of Highland Park is the ideal breakfast".

I hope that makes things clear. These things are so important when you've run out of gas on the north coast of Sutherland. :motorcycleduc:

#22 Gimlet, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Thanks for all the replies lads, really looking forward to the trip. Just discovered the insurance is up in the middle of it so may get that sorted before I go.
    I hear the Scottish police are peculiar in that they seem to think it's unacceptable not to be insured:rolleyes:

4. Watch out for plod on the A82

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information