1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scottish Base Location Advice

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Gimlet, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Thanks everyone. The place I had in mind had some issues when I read the details a bit more carefully. Thinking now about the Inverness region as well.
    @Speedmouse is Inverness far enough north for Ullapool-Durness? When I say Inverness, I've found a handful of possible places in within a Elgin/Fort Augustus/Tain triangle.
    There's no way I'd want to slog up there in a day from Dorset on motorways so probably stop somewhere in Cumbria then get an early start and take a windy route north next day.

Its a bit of a minefield. The best places are already booked right through 2018 and you have to read the reviews carefully to get all the details. Wouldn't be so fussed if I was in a car but from past experience on a bike there are a few extra boxes that need ticking - like its great to have a tumble drier but not when the electricity supply is on a pay meter and you're already shelling out £600 a week...
    Found a place in Sutherland that had several reviews complaining it was haunted. One bloke was quite put out about it and said his family left halfway through to find a B&B and they would never have come in the first place if they'd known. Seriously tempted just for a laugh but it was expensive and according to the reviews quite a lot of things didn't work and the furniture was in a state of collapse.

@finm I'm interested in the campsite you mentioned. After a week of biblical rain in Snowdonia a couple of years ago, my camping gear is now marked "for continental use only" but pods might be a different matter. Could you post or PM the details? Ta very much.

2. Have you tried the Buccleuch Arms at Moffat? Biker friendly and fantastic roads on the doorstep in the Borders. Makes a great stop over for this travelling from the south and heading for the highlands.

I used it last May en route to Applecross.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Camping Pods at Benglas Farm just North of Loch Lomond off the A82. They have pods and lodges (I used a pod there last year and would recommend)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cheers Gordon. Buccleuch Arms looks good. 8 hours from here by motorway, 9 by the A1. A long way in one go but doable and I would be on the doorstep. It would be nice to have the time to explore Dumfries and Galloway on the way up.

5. Can't go wrong biking in Scotland.
    Inverness to Ullapool is epic, as is Fort Bill to Kyle. Then there are the routes around the Cairngorms. Bealach na'Ba over to Applecross on a nice day.
    As previously mentioned 350 miles is doable but it would make a long day.
    A9 is heavily policed as are the areas around Perth and through to Glencoe.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Probably. A couple of mates were going to join me for a few days if I went to Wales but I fancy Scotland or Ireland. Whether they'll be up for a longer trip I don't know. TBH its not just a biking holiday for me, its a get away from home time as well which is another reason why I like self-catering. Chill time.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Getting to Scotland is the worst bit. Or at least getting through the midlands. There's no pleasant option from down here. Not sure I can handle sitting on the motorway all the way to Cumbria. Did it there and back to buy my 1190 - well almost, Blackburn - but God it was tedious. Tempted to go east and up the A1 but its probably just as bad.

8. Once you are up this way, if you are on the east coast, the A696 onto the A68 is proably the best route up to Scotland, plenty of fast sweepers that you can make good progress on, easily being able to pass the caravan club, with some nice scenery.

Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 14.26.43.png

IMG_5724.JPG

[​IMG]

#29 Robarano, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. The challenge will be finding variety from one central location. Somewhere around Fort William to Ballachulish would be good as it gives options in all directions including day trips to Tobermory on Mull, Ardnamurchan, Kyle, Inverness, Aviemore, cablecar up to Nevis Range etc, and you could pop down and see @finm in Oban.

#30 johnv, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  10. Its a good point, hence the original plan of two stops. If the weather's not great I guess there's more chance of some dry roads heading east than west (and I've never been to the east coast or the Grampians). On the other hand if it's fine it would be a crime to miss out on the west coast scenery and some island-hopping. As well as a mug of tea with oily thumb prints all over it at @finm 's drive-in.

#31 Gimlet, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. The owner will look after you and has all the local routes and can provide directions. Three Lochs run is a traffic free stunner and a good taster of things to come as you head north.

Good grub on site and Moffat is surprisingly lively for an old border town.

12. I did this one earlier this year .........a bit rushed, should have spent more time at each destination!

I'm afraid it wasn't on the 900ss - my bones are a little too old for that kind of distance on the Duc!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Isn't the A68 littered with speed cameras now?

14. +1 Bucceuch Arms is the ideal place on your way up. Applecross Inn is one of my favourite spots but extremely difficult to book as it is so popular.
    I have a 3 day route plan with long/short options (if wet). If you are interested, pm me your email and I'll send on.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. The south part, near Darlington I believe. Taking this route, you don’t join the A68 until you leave the A696 in the borders. There’s the odd camera to be aware of but nothing too heavy and they are marked. Be aware of unmarked cars though.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Back in the day the A68 used to be an awesome road/roller coaster :)

17. It still is if you join near Hexham and head north, you hit all of the woop-de-doops of the old roman road. :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
  18. PM sent.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Looking at where you are coming from, would give the A7 a look. All the way from Carlisle to outskirts Edinburgh. Great road.
    Aftwr that plot something with g.maps that goes middle ish, close to Stirling.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information