1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scottish Routes

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Rosso, May 12, 2018.

1. Don't use up all the scorchio weather, leave some for me. I'm going up on the 9th June.

@J biker 's Fort William to Scourie route is duly noted. I'm based in Fort Augustus so that's ideal.

So.... the NC500, clockwise or anticlockwise..?

2. anti, leave the best till last. heres a wee taster with a pic i took last night
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Cool. Makes sense.

4. Definitely anticlockwise, no offence to any east coast dwellers, but it truly gets better & better.
    Love the place.

5. Dounreay?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. It will be pissing down then. Guaranteed.

7. Tell me about it.. This weather is never going to last another month but what do you do..?

8. naw, just doontheroad

9. If you're doing Bealach Na Baa, go to Applecross and north around the peninsula (if heading North) to rejoin the road to Shieldaig. This can give good views if weather is clear. A lot of people just go up to the pass and come back down again to Kishorn. The other side is much less busy.

Skye is likely to be very busy. If intending to stay there, you might want to book.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. So, if you're going anti-clockwise and approaching Applecross from the north, if I've got this right, you'd turn right off the A896 just south of Shieldaig, follow that road anti-clockwise round the peninsular via Ardheslaig, Cuaig etc to Applecross, then take the pass east to rejoin the A896 at Tornapress. Is that right? Is there anything exciting you're missing on the A896 between Shieldaig and Tornapress or better to cut that bit out and do the loop instead?

11. You won't miss anything going the coastal route from Sheildaig to Applecross. If the weather is clear you'll miss some lovely views if you dont.

• Like Like x 1
  12. That probably doesn't make sense. I was looking at the original route (maybe I misunderstood) going north to Scourie, in which case going up to the top of the pass and down to Applecross is a nice run and a lot less traffic on the other (sea) side, as many people just go up and back. It's a lot nicer going up to the pass from Kishorn (ascents are usually nicer) but you would be reversing the route if heading south and probably not so nice descending from the pass to Kishorn. Expect going round the peninsula to add 45 minutes.

You're not missing much between Shieldaig and Kishorn (Tornapress). If the map is your route and you're going through Glen Torridon, that's about as great as the scenery gets, so I wouldn't worry about missing the loop. Do it next time. Also consider going round the Wester Ross Coastal trail from Corrieshalloch to Kinlochewe, but I think your day is possibly long enough.

13. Yes

Bealach

Noun

Scottish
    • A narrow mountain pass.

14. Scorcher summer forecast.

15. coolio, makes sense. it is a mountain pass, it rather handily takes you through to the Appin inn. nice one :upyeah:

16. Fancy Cairngorms, any camping suggestions?

17. Not sure if this is of help, as I've never been camping in my life and do not intend to go under canvas at all unless I'm buried at sea. However, I think there is a bit more wild camping in Scotland - you would have to research this. I think there is a a site near Braemar, but I don't know anything about it. The only campsite I know in Scotland is the one at Loch Naver, as I have stopped there for an ice cream a couple of times. This is much further north, but the location is truly beautiful and the people seem nice. If I was camping, I'd be tempted to stop there, but I would imagine the midges could be troublesome?

18. plenty camp sites around avimore, wild camping pretty much anywhere, if anybody grumps, tel em to get stuffed. sorted. :upyeah:

19. I think the Loch Naver site is Altnaharra which is a caravan and motorhome site and doesn't have a toilet block.
    I thought you were allowed to pitch anywhere in the Highlands?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. pretty much. national parks take a dim view, and eh, people not familiar with the customs.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information