1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scottish Routes

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Rosso, May 12, 2018.

1. There are loads of camp sites and of course wild camping option too. I would just google some camp sites within the route you want to do and then have them as a back up. Throw the tent on the back and go , and wild camp where you fancy , otherwise use your back up site.
    It’s a fantastic area.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. I live in Loch Lomond & Trossachs national park, where they introduced wild camping restrictions within 200m of the lochs last year. That became an unfortunate necessity, due to the amount of shit (literal and metaphorical) left lying around, the level of damage done and rather too much violent behaviour by camping neds. Plenty of wild camping up in the hills though, and lots of good camp sites.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. There's always some arseholes who spoil things for everyone else...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. I’ve done the wild camping in the highlands, some of it was arranged by my previous employer HRH ;-)
    And done as a civilian.
    It’s okay if your backpacking but I’ve found it difficult with a veichel car or bike, as often the best place to pitch a tent is no where near where you can safely leave a car or bike.
    So if you want to camp, I would strongly recommend booking camp sites, a lot less trouble.
    Now a days its B&B for me, as I appreciate the creature comforts of a mattress and pillow and no insects :)

It’s pretty reosanable to travel in pairs and get twin rooms to keep the cost down. Or take the wife and lump for the lot ;-)

5. Keeping my fingers crossed I can find a B&B on the NC 500 in June. There's a hostel in Tongue I was hoping to fall back on.

6. There is also SYHA in Durness, you don’t have to be a member or even a youth.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. A really brilliant day today. Ullapool to Durness via Kylesku and Stoer. Now in

54DB61E9-8EF9-467B-8587-FD435D95CC35.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  8. The pub, ha!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Kylesku bridge, a nice little break

6473E54A-E8FE-4318-85D2-CFCEB9FC3C47.jpeg

10. Looks great.
    At the moment, weather on the west coast is looking better.
    Cairngorms area just shows windy symbol on my super reliable iPhone weather app..
    May west coast / Isle of Skye in some form or other on way up Thursday & play by ear on return Monday.

11. Love a pint after a day on the bike but have super weak bladder.
    Being zipped up in a bag is not conducive with my hourly slash.
    I might put a catheter in every night or just use tena pants..

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Was there on Saturday .weather has been excellent
    22979DB2-8DDD-40C9-99F9-EE48F331F167.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  13. You buggers are using up all the good weather. It's never going to hold till the middle of June. Think I'll pack my waders.

14. You welcome to stop in Manchester on your way up for warm rain, a kebab & a cheap lap dance.
    ( bring those waders).

15. I've already ordered a travel spinning rod and a folding landing net from Grahams of Inverness. I'll be picking them up on the first Monday.

There's so many rides I want to do and so many places I'd like to see, but, whatever the weather, I've got a house to myself for a fortnight there's no mobile phone signal, no internet access and a salmon river in the back garden which is mine for the use of. I should manage to have a tolerable time.

Manchester sounds cool but I'm saving myself for Northumberland. On the other side of the Pennines I'm expecting a sea of Newcastle Brown Ale and girls behind every tree flashing their tits at me.

• Like Like x 1

16. I see you’ve been to the Quayside on a night out before :)

17. Middle of June: pack a head net, not just a landing net. And take copious supplies of Smidge and/or Avon Skin So Soft - seriously - the little feckers will eat you alive. If you can get one of Elon's flame throwers, that wouldn't go amiss either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. maybe just settle for a small bottle of expedition plus. nothing beats it.
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Last time I was in Scotland in June I was on Harris and Lewis and I didn't see a single midge.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information