1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Scottoiler Installation

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by MacShot, Jun 3, 2016.

1. I get that a lot of people don't like Scottoilers, and that's fine. It's a personal preference. Many people, myself included, like them. That's the point of the post. I'm not sure I see the point in trying to change people's minds, when the point of the post is that there are several of us here that own Multistradas and have made our own choice to fit Scottoilers. That's all.

The point is, I've had them fitted on almost every chain driven bike I've owned. My last bike was a 1200 Monster and I fitted one at around 1000 miles. When I part-ex'd the bike at 10,000 miles the chain still looked and felt like new, and I'd only had to adjust it once.

So for me it's about having hassle-free ownership where I only occasionally have to refill the oil reservoir, and I am able to use my bike in all weathers knowing it's always being properly lubricated - something you can't necessarily guarantee by manually applying oil and then riding in bad weather, where the chain oil is quickly washed off. I don't want to be having to think about lubing my chain if I'm doing a long trip.

Cost isn't really an issue for me - the one I have now cost me £80 and is about to be fitted to it's third bike.

It's all about personal choice and preference. You have yours and I have mine. And that's ok.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. i had a scottoiler fitted to my 999r, and found i almost never had to adjust my chain.

set up correctly they will hold a higher Oil constant on your chain rather then oil--- clean reoil.. and repeat

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Logically, if you manually oil your chain when you set off lubrication is 100%, half way through the day down to say 60% and at the end of the day 30%? Then you re-lubricate for the next outing. With an automatic oiler you are 100% lubrication all the time, it makes sense the chain life wil be extended.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Anyone tried these?

Seems to deliver the oil via a felt pad...

Applicator-with-Chain-1-300x225.jpg

5. Does the Cobrra rely at all on hydrostatic head or does the rotation of the top create sufficient pressure inside the unit? I presume the latter since your unit is so low on the bike.

How is the arrangement on the inside of the sprocket cover? Did you set the dripper against the sprocket? Does build-up of crud affect it?

#25 chrisjk, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Yes please. We (hubby and I) had Scotoilers on the last Multi 1200s but took them off to transfer to the 1260s. I'd be interested in the route you took the line which goes over the swinging arm but away from the exhaust. :)

7. I’ve routed my Scottoiler outlet pipe to the front sprocket. Seemed silly not to as the reservoir is so close.

It’s a bit of a messy job at the moment - lots of cable ties, but I’ll neaten it up when I have time.

8. Sounds sensible.I presume you can't use the dual feeder.

9. I use a Tuturo chan oiler , easy to fit and works really well.

10. I possibly could, but as I was adapting the Scottoiler from having previously been fitted on a Monster 1200, and another Multistrada before that, it was a case of doing a functional installation with what I had lying around in the garage.

I’m thinking of designing a little block that the oil outlet pipe will fit into, and that I can secure to the chassis casting, adjacent to the swing arm pivot. This will facilitate dropping oil onto the chain just as it comes off the front sprocket. I’ll see about mocking something up on the CAD later in the week.

• Like Like x 2
  11. :) Millie + Hubby,
    My sincere apology here for appearing not to be interested in replying, but I've been away for the last couple of days, helping out my son and his girlfriend move flat in central London, along with my wife and we've only just got back/had time to stop and breathe.

Anyway, when I get a chance early next week, I'll set the photos up for you and by all means have a look and if required you can give me a call to discuss any concerns, queries etc.:upyeah:
    Regards
    TonyMN

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. I'll add by saying I've done about 500 miles over the weekend and my front sprocket outlet managed to loose the little narrow outlet pipe, so the oil delivery was a bit hit and miss! I'll be designing a more permanent solution, or I may just bite the bullet and try a double outlet thing on the rear sprocket (although it's about £25, which seems steep to me).

13. wrong! I have used it on my Honda CBR650 previously and never cleaned the chain. The oil has other additives that self clean the chain. had it for 13000 miles and never had an issue. Here is the kicker I never even had to change the chain, sproket was as good as new and never stretched either. You do have to get the flow adjustment right which is easy and then thats it. I let the garage give it a clean when they service the bike. It is literally maintenance free unless you are really covering the bike with wet mud cakes. lol!

• Like Like x 2
  14. I've never known a topic to be so divisive as chain oilers! The bottom line is if you have a system that works for you then that's great!

The point of this thread is for those of us (for our own reasons) that have chosen to fit a Scottoiler (because we like them and find them to be effective) to be able to discuss how and where to fit them. That's literally all!

For anyone else that doesn't like chain oilers, or think they're a waste of time, messy, unreliable, or whatever other reasons you might have, then by all means go ahead and start your own thread.

15. Further to my post above, where I mentioned about fitting the outlet adjacent to the front sprocket, I've since relocated it to the rear sprocket. It's neat and tidy and drops oil precisely where I want it. Job done, as far as I'm concerned.

Instead of using the usual clear hose to run oil along the length of the swingarm I've used the smaller diameter black piping, and sandwiched it between the swingarm and the chain guide. It's neat and out of harms way.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Who are you replying to mate :joy:

17. Not you - I'm just a bit bored of all the posts saying Scottoilers are shit etc - we're all perfectly entitled to our own opinions, and that's absolutely fine - each to their own. I just wanted to make the point that it's not what this thread is about; ie how and where to fit a Scottoiler. Anything beyond that isn't relevant!

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. I agree, If someone hasn't tried one there is no opinion to give. If one has had a bad experience that is probably worth sharing instead.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I had one on my blackbird it worked tried one on my ST4 could never get it to work properly

Do Not Sell My Personal Information