1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Scottoiler Installation

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by MacShot, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Incidentally, you've slightly contradicted yourself in your post - you've stated that the chain needs a squirt of lube every 100 miles or so - so it does need lubricating - even with o-rings?

My understanding is that the chain does indeed have lubrication held within the chain links themselves, and this is retained by the o-rings. However, if not lubricated these o-rings can dry out or become pinched, or become broken because of wear with debris like road grit. Additionally, I find that lubrication helps prevent corrosion of the chain side plates, as well as the rollers.

So in that sense we're both in agreement that the application of lubrication is helpful for the longevity of the chain. This is why some of us have chosen to automate that process, as it reduces maintenance of the chain, and means no sticky chain lube goo, and no road grit getting stuck to the sticky chain lube.

Here is my previous bike, with 10,000 or so miles on the clock, and a very clean and well maintained chain, courtesy of the Scottoiler.

http://www.motorapido.co.uk/pages/u...6&MAKE=DUCATI&MODEL=M1200 S&ENGINECC=1198#eq1

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. I,ll get some photos of how mine is fitted tomorrow.

3. Just noticed this post and would like to add:

I do about 25ooo miles a year on my multi 1200 using 20% backroads and the rest is on the M74 and M73 commuting to work daily all year round and in all weathers regardless of how heavy the monsoon or the minus 5 black ice on the A702.

I use my bike by preference for the sole reason that I love to hammer it to work and back, daily - end of.

And I mean hammer it, it gets absolutely hammered everywhere I go regardless, there’s no exceptions to this.

So - the horrific manual lubrication of drive chain may have been delayed and overlooked at times (often even) due to weather conditions and or pure lack of time to do it.

Ordinarily, the chain would survive for about 5 or 6k then I would replace the whole set as it would be starting to feel iffy and the very slightest sign of tooth wear appears on rear sprocket.

Top quality genuine Ducati chain and sprocket kits are not designed to last without constant tender loving care and lots of lubrication.

The end result at one point was a snapped chain which was travelling very rapidly and fast enough to batter a very large hole right through into the gearbox at the front sprocket rendering the bike near scrap and near got me permanently killed at the same time.

An O ring sealed chain, or even an X ring sealed chain still needs proper and constant lubrication between chain rollers and sprockets or the inevitable will result at some point if you hammer the life out of your bike like I do.

Chain durability can be prior assessed by the thickness and quality of the chain side plates, before you even get into the pins and rollers and o rings and how you’re going to supply correct and sufficient constant lubrication!

I have since 'seen the light' and had all models of scottoiler fitted to my chain driven bikes and guess what? Not another broken chain since then.

And I’ve also noticed a massive extension in the life of a chain and sprocket kit. It has worked out that fitting a scottoiler system has saved me a lot of money on consumable chain drive stuff as well as saved me the time and harassment of constant pain in the arse very messy manual lubrication with chain lube aerosols etc.

However, I will add that a correctly set up scottoiler system delivering a correct and continuous supply of oil makes one hell of a mess of the back end of your bike, just a real nighmare to keep the bike clean, even the panniers get plastered after a while but it’s a very essential and worthwhile addition to a chain drive system.

All the scottoiler systems work ok, to a degree, depending upon your manner of driving style and the precise (must be perfect) fit-up of the delivery nozzle at the rear sprocket. I would say that the twin tube nozzle (dual injector) kit is by far the very best to use for best lubrication of chain and I’ve made a custom bracket to fit mine and its coupled to the e-system which works to perfection because you can set the oil delivery parameters manually (drips per minute etc etc) with the electronic control pad instead of being reliant upon engine vacuum etc. Absolutely perfect set and forget system, and it even displays when the reservoir needs a refill which is very handy (almost weekly for me at mo). I’ve tried using many cheaper ‘alternative’ oils in the reservoir to be a cheapskate but it’s never worked as expected and i have always reverted back to using the scottoiler brand!

My standby bike is a new Africa twin adventure sports, for the days when the Multi ‘is not feeling well’, I’ve also fitted it with an e-system with dual injector on it and it’s now done 8k on the OE chain with only TWO tiny chain adjustments so far, absolutely remarkable considering how hard it gets hammered with the traction control off and engine braking set at half level.

So for those that need the best and SAFE performance out of their bike, and a chain set that survives the miles, fit an e-system, it’s a no-brainer if you do fast high miles, along with an X chain of course!

Regards.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Glad to hear you weren’t permanently killed, that would have been nasty.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. It seems like you are using a LOT of oil, mine is the electronic version, without the handlebar control, and I find setting the rate to the 2nd or 3rd light delivers sufficient oil, albeit in Summer weather

6. I cleaned all the excess lube off my 1200,s chain when delivered. Sprayed it with Wurth dry lube. No mess, no splatter, no rust and in 10000 miles the sprockets were like new and chain had one minor adjustment. Just an occasional top up spray on the warm chain after a run. Needless to say when my PP was delivered I cleaned the chain and started again.

8. Hi, I would be interested in the pictures that you have of how you fitted the system if you still have them as I am looking at fitting one to mine.

9. Yes of course, I'll look them out for you and send them over FYI.

10. Sandancer,
    Check your profile to see that I've forwarded on the information to you properly and let me know you've received it.
    Regards
    TonyMN

11. Hi Tony, thanks I’ve received the photos.

12. Hi Tony
    Sorry to dig up this old thread but could you add me to the Scottoiler install info please?
    Thanks
    Mark

13. Mark,
    No problem, I'll look out the information I sent out previously and send it across to you, unless you are looking for something else.
    Regards

TonyMN

14. Thanks Tony, much appreciated.
    I have an xSystem to go on a 1200 DVT, which is what I think you were referring to....
    Cheers
    Mark#

• Like Like x 1
  15. Personally, I think these products are for lazy ass bastards who shouldn't be worthy of riding a Ducati.
    IMHO, these riders should get off their butts and clean their chain after every ride.
    It's the cleaning that take precedence, not the lubing although one does not replace the other.
    Don't take my word for it, ask MCN Chief Road Tester, Michael Neeves.

20210411_203309.jpg

16. However having a chain oiler means it’s one less thing to carry on a week long tour in Europe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Thanks for your valuable contribution.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. OH dear DAR, you don't like these valuable additions then.......
    From a logical viewpoint/perspective, I couldn't disagree with you more wholeheartedly! :expressionless:

19. IME, there seems to be no middle ground on this topic. Of the people I have spoken to about the general concept of auto lubrication, there are no shades of grey, just black (verement haters) or white (absolute fans). I’m sure having posted this, someone will pipe up that they couldn’t give a s*it either way but that’s life :joy: Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information