1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Security Chain Recommendations

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by ibgarrow, May 4, 2022.

1. My Hyperstrada SP arrives soon, just as the insurance needs renewing on my other Ducati, fortunately, so I can get both on a policy without the hassle and expense of adding or amending a policy.
    As this bike will have to go on my drive, I planned to tie it down with a security chain and lock inside my trailer to a ground anchor. At present, I’m contemplating either the Milenco Snaefell 22mm chain and lock, or the Oxford Beast. Any recommendations or advice would be welcome.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 5
  2. Almax or pragmasis.

don’t bother with anything like Oxford etc, they’re shite and can be cropped in no time. Infact most of the mainstream ones can. They do nothing more than mildly slow down the crooks.

Get a proper anchor as well or chain it to something that can’t be moved.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. If you're keeping it in a trailer then worth putting the trailer on stands and taking the wheels off as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

4. Very good point. Or clamp it/chain it as well.

bulldog clamps are good.

• Like Like x 1
  5. These guys are fantastic and their products are too.

I have a resin bonded ground anchor and fat chain for the Ducati, plus a smaller, but still a whopper of a chain for the MTB inside my garage.

I had my local locksmith, who I've used for other stuff, install the ground anchor and he agreed it was outstanding stuff and with the correct instal, would take some getting into.

Simple tips like do not leave the lock resting on the floor and be as awkward as practical when choosing a location, in order to make getting at the chain and lock difficult are useful to take into account.

6. Pragmasis get my vote. I have a fair amount of their bits

#8 Paul46, May 4, 2022
    Last edited: May 4, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Another for Almax, i have six or seven now in stock for those days when i don't want to share my pride and joy with the scumbags.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Done that, thanks, and removed the ball hitch. I thought I’d loop the chain down through the floor into an anchor…

• Like Like x 1
  9. …and Almax are just down the road!

10. Check ebay out as i got most of mine from there, i only purchased one chain & padlock from them new.

• Like Like x 1

11. Yep, usually a squires padlock. A decent one

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. +1 for Almax, check out the videos on their website of a fat bloke destroying enormous bolt croppers on their products, uncroppable by hand, power tools are the only way to get through them, proper weapons grade security

13. Abus insurance lock and chain. Bought 25 years ago for the 916. Heavy old kit. Best advice I was given was to keep the chain high enough to stop a link being held on the floor with a foot so that the blades of the croppers could be slotted under the chain and both hands and weight could be applied to the other arm and gain a mechanical advantage. Makes using a disc cutter more difficult to use on a loose chain off the ground.
    If they want it they’ll get it. Time is the best defence against opportunists.
    Oh and a good kicking if you catch any undesirable oik near the bike is also very satisfying and a low life lesson. So I’m told.

14. Almax Immobiliser Series IV UBER 19mm + Abloy PL342 padlock

15. Almax or Pragmasis

I have Pragmasis and Torq Anchor - Antipinch pin (Squire 55CS) - or Chain Abloy Padlock.

16. Probably the best padlock on the market apart from the Kasp series 190 close shackle which's a beast.

17. @XH558 What about the beefier closed-shackle padlocks in Abloy’s Protec2 range?

18. Yes i did have one and sold it, as didn't like the silly key design, but still a good padlock.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information