1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking Lost Love 600ss M165JPJ

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Duke of Stow, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Mmm, you may have a bit of mis-information I did indeed own it but from late Feb 96 until early 98 when I bought the 900ssie. I recall purchasing it from HGB in Ruislip and collecting it on a very cold, wet, and slippery day. Adrian is the guy who owned it before me, I then sold it to a lad from Pershore, who must have sold it to Beverly Hooper. I am afraid to say that there should be 6 keepers. Adrian, me (Richard),Pershore Lad, Beverly, Gary and then yourself. To your credit she looks nice now, but I do miss the Castrol colours.

Check the service history for anything with Baines Racing I only use them and have done for 20 years. You may also see some service history from Moto Rapido as she was in the Winchester area some years later.

#61 Duke of Stow, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  2. Just noticed the HGB reg plate, so confirming my ownership.

3. My apologies Richard, as I thought you had owned it from new. The V5 notes 4 former keepers which would make me the 5th, but as you say it sounds like I should be the 6th.

I'll check the service history and I did check with Moto Rapido to see if they had looked after it as it had Moto Rapido stickers on it, but they had no record of it. However the guy who I bought it from did say that it had been maintained by somebody who worked for Ducati so maybe it was that they worked for Moto Rapido.

4. Perhaps I could pop over sometime and look the old girl over

5. She passed her MOT this morning no problem and is now taxed and ready to go. The only problem is a dragging clutch making it impossible to select neutral when running. it maybe that the clutch needs bleeding again (i hope). i can't imagine tgat it would be the adjustable racing levers, would it? Anyway you are more than welcome to drop in and see the old girl if you are passing. if the weathers good this Easter i'll have a chance to take a few more pics.

6. Mine is a pig to select neutral whilst running and stationary, it will slot in with the engine off or with the engine running and the bike coasting forward. So it might be a case of "they are all like that" I'm used to it and always select neutral as I coast to a stop

7. It was a bit challenging getting nuetral when I had her. It improved once the bike got nice and warm though. Mind you after nearly 20 years there is bound to be wear in the shift drum and selector forks.

8. Is that the standard exhaust on there? The reason I ask is that she sounds very throaty compared to some of the 600SS's on YouTube (have yet to hear another one in the flesh).

So is there anyway I can check to see if the exhaust has any baffles in it? By the way the current exhaust silencer is marked Ducati and appears externally to be standard.

9. Compared with modern bikes they are loud

10. As I said in my initial post, the exhaust was converted by Baines to match the stage 2 Dynojet kit. The end caps were removed, the baffles and wadding removed and a straight through pipe and wadding inserted. Mind you after this long it probably needs repacking. I also wire brushed the headers and painted them with VHT paint.

11. OK I was not sure if it still looked standard from the outside, but obviously so. Seems to be still the same then and sounds nice. I also wire brushed and painted the headers with VHT paint.

A,so from the latest MOT it appears that she had done very little mileage over the last few years as the odometer history is as follows:
    14/04/2014 = 23,446
    08/09/2012 = 23,417
    21/04/2011 = 23,290
    26/08/2009 = 23,164

12. Here is a picture taken today of the bike fully finished.

IMGP0040.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  13. Looks very nice. Shame about the lack of use, they tend to suffer if they don't get ridden.

14. Don't have experience of this model, but most Ducatis of that era were/are bastards to get into neutral at a stop. My 851 had to be snicked into neutral as coming to a stop. I think the 906 and 907ie were similar. I got so used to it I still find it surprising that the 999 will go into neutral with no problem.

15. Guess I have to make up for that once the weather improves.

Also with the drilled airbox & stage 2 Dynojet kit did you retain the rubber inlet trumpets or ditch them?

16. They got ditched when the Dynojet kit got fitted.

17. :)Your tax disc is on the wrong side.
    It should be visable from the front nearside quarter.

God I love being petty

18. As from October you can chuck it in the bin!

19. But until then !!!

20. Thanks for pointing that out Stanforth.....I'll get it moved across.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information