1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seized Front Sprocket.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by West Cork Paul, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Is it off yet :yum

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. No:(

Mind you it’s a bank holiday weekend here at the mo and we’ve daughter no.2 visiting us so I’ve not had much chance. However, on Wednesday, once she’s gone and SWMBO is out it’ll probably get attacked with an angle grinder :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. The tension (ha,see what I did there) is killing me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Why is your Daughter No2 preventing the sprocket from coming off the spline?

Is she some kind of radical or something?

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Can daughter #2 work an angle grinder? :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. We have a product called Yield which is far superior to the WD-40 crap,dunno if you are able to find this. The other option is a product called deox -c which is a rust remover and it's very good. You have to mix the crystals with water and then put the item in it to remove the rust or in your case build a small receptacle around the sprocket to hold the magic water. Definitely worth a shot if you are still struggling.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Unfortunately (in this regard) daughter no.2 has no interest in anything mechanical (or technical, or of an engineering, scientific or mathematical nature) if I tried to get her to help me she’d fall asleep as soon as I’d explained how to hold the angle grinder

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Start at the top of the sprocket then :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. :mad:FFS!
    Still won’t come off:mad:
    834D3F1D-640E-4381-90E7-80C034B3B4D3.jpeg

• WTF WTF x 1
  10. o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Just put a new chain on - she'll be right :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. It doesn't look like you have cut all the way to the splines?

I've never been in this position, but I would rotate the sprocket a little and make a second cut; the idea being to remove a small piece of the sprocket which should allow some movement.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Getting so triggered by that sprocket still being attached!

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Can’t you drive a small cold chisel down the cut (without reaching the spline)to open it up more and it should split all the way?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. tenacious - two sturdy screwdrivers?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. That will do the shaft bearing the world of good..

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. I have considered that. I’ve thought about putting the old chain back on then taking it out for a spin. I reckon 100horses pulling on it should crack it apart :astonished:. I’m having a coffee/calm down break but desperate times call for desperate measureso_O

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Didn't the hydraulic puller work then? :eyes:

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Not sure I'd recommend that one :D have a coffee than go back with the 2 screwdriver trick as Chris said :upyeah:

20. I’ve made two cuts, opposite each other. The fact the engine’s in the frame limits access so the angle grinder & Dremel can’t get all the way through. I went as far as I dare without ruining the gearbox shaft and, since that photo was taken, have been using a hacksaw blade to finish it off. I know now I’m all the way through - f&*king thing :mad:

• Like Like x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information