1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sena 10u Intercom

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by steeve, Mar 27, 2019.

1. My Sena 10U Neotec fit is only just over two years old and the battery has finally given up the ghost. It wont hold a charge for more than a few hours at the most. This was an expensive piece of kit which hasnt had much use.

Sena tell me the batteries are not replaceable and more or less it's tough shit, buy a new unit.

Now I dont really feal that the life span of one of these is only two years. So be wary when buying any of their kit if it fails after the one year warranty seems like youre stuck...........

2. It lasted longer than the warranty. We live in a culture of designed obsolescence. Maybe take it apart or send it too someone like bigclivedotcom. What I take from your statement is you feel that you have not had you're monies worth of enjoyment or use. Sounds like you occasionally used it & forgot to keep it charged every month or so.

Plenty of fix it, repair it instructional sites about. Search for how too..

The above video may seem totally unrelated but people I meet don't seem to understand the way current battery technology works. You must drain fully & charge certain types of batteries semi-regularly to keep them healthy. Live and learn.

#2 GunZenBomZ, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  3. My 10U is now 5 years old with no problems.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Bloody heck, it's getting more and more complicated looking after batteries now :confused:

5. Just realised that it might be a lithium battery! I have had some stick about having one on my bike, and how it will go up in flames, I now realise that I also have one inside my helmet!

6. @steeve You might find that the battery has dead spaces, meaning its not been fully discarded correctly. Leaving charge discharge zones along its battery internal length. Keep holding the power button or keep going back to it over the course of a day. Turning it on until it finally has zero power. Then recharge the bugger.

• Useful Useful x 2
  7. Double check but it is little-known rule that the warranty in EU countries is 2 years. My intercom failed after 18 months, when i took it back to the place of purchase they said it was outside of warranty . I quoted them this law I found and they changed it pronto.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I've had my 10U just over two years, use it most days, and have no problems with the battery. I usually charge after a week's use at about an hour and a half per day.

9. I've took my Sena 20u apart just to take a gander. They look like the battery can be replaced most certainly.

[​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Crap Crap x 1
  10. Sena 10U, now 3 years old and still holds charge all day.

11. It's good to hear that some owners have had good reliability.
    I've swatted up on Lithium battery care and technology, a real no no is to leave these flat. Something I was careful not to do.
    I hope the new unit I've bought has a better life.

Sadly I wasnt aware that the guarantee was two years, now I know that I'll be sure to act a little quicker in the event it doesnt work properly.

Whilst the battery shouldnt be replaceable it is if you can remove the battery compartment lid, which is more than possible. However I've trawled the web looking for a replacement, including contacting companies who supply them. I cannot find a new one any where.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yep we sell batteries to Industry and generally could find an example. They do not like being flat for long or 100% charged for that matter. Also avoid heat and and water. BTW Most are on 9 month delivery time from production. 300 lifecycles charges yeild a 80% reduction in capacity

#12 johnny, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. SMH10R in 2 lids for 5 years now... both in good condition.... all day 2 way comms with plenty left. I just bought a Neotech 2 with the Sena so will monitor, thanks for the heads up. FYI, i do leave my units turned on but unpaired after most long rides and recharge the following morning to condition the battery better. Dont know if this is ideal but similarly with phones, tablet and laptops it has not done any harm thus far.

14. Rode to Birmingham and back last night, about 2.5 hours on the bike. Had forgotten to charge headset after return from Ardennes, a long 400+ mile day. Needn't have worried, battery still good on return to home. As said above headset is 3 years old and contrary to @Multi1971 post above i only bother to charge before use rather than after. Though if run flat I'll charge that night. Has only happened on tour when I've forgotten to charge overnight.

I have a couple of Anker power bars (one of those USB booster things). One older, one more recent. The older one refuses to charge the headset, turns itself off. The newer one works well. Handy if you're camping and don't have access to a mains socket.

• Like Like x 1
  15. +1 for this.... I also carry one of these bad boys (15,000 mA Hr) in my mini tail bag or have the USB sockets back there with a 3m USB cable... great back up solution for the absent minded (me).....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information