1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sensible Asking Price 748r

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Andy800, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Reluctantly. I put a lot of time, effort and a considerable amount of money into developing what was my dream project. It is a great success and fun to ride but then I rode the 1098R which is an entirely better bike all round. 15 seconds a lap faster at Almeria and 17 seconds a lap faster at Cartagena better. Still if someone wants a complete revvy 133 RWHP/70 lbsft engine to go in a 748R rolling chassis, it’s a great package. Andy

2. I’m sure that there is one around. This is what the 748R used to look like.
    4AA1C996-1105-407D-B38D-97DA31168605.jpeg
    Andy

• Like Like x 3
  3. And this is the track version.
    20160206_150850.jpg
    Andy

• Like Like x 4
  4. Is it an expensive upkeep as a track bike..

5. £2800 & 3 boxes of wottsittsz

• Like Like x 1
  6. No more so than a 748R. I do an oil and filter change after a 3 day open pit lane outing, I clean and regrease the slipper clutch every 600 miles and it gets belts every year. Although the engine is a refreshed ex Stuart Easton British Supersport factory supported 748RS that Moto Rapido did a nut, bolt and bearing rebuild with EVR 853 barrels on, I wasn’t expecting to do a top end refresh for about 3000 miles. I have a set of new barrels, pistons, con rods and valves put by for that eventuality. I also have 2 spare 748RS engines as a fall back :). Andy

• Like Like x 2
  7. That will buy one of my spare 748RS engines but hey, you gotta try :upyeah: Andy

• Like Like x 1
  8. Its one of the reasons I'm looking at parting with the 748R. I'm wanting to get something to use on track as I feel that tracking it will be costly and I care to much about it to expose it to track hardship...

9. Nothing wrong with tracking the 748R, it is after all, the bike that homolgated the 2001/2002 Supersport for racing. If anything it is more robust than the RS as the cams have a less aggresive profile. With the 50mm half system, my 748R made about 112hp at the rear wheel and on tracks like Mallory, Brands Hatch Indy and Cartagena, it was great fun. Sadly you get left behind on the high speed power circuits but even then, you’d be queuing behind some JIL4 1000cc numpty who couldn’t go round corners. The other bonus is that 748R parts are still manufactured by Ducati. Andy

10. My 748r was great fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Will tracking it hugely impact resale value and if i were to start tracking it what would be the sensible things to remove from it.. Headlight, fairings and such

12. @Andy800 if your that worried about it don't track It, I've had all my bikes on track but stick well within my limits, unless I'm on my track bike then I ride like a bit of a loon.

• Like Like x 1
  13. If you treat the bike with respect and maintain it properly, I don’t see why it should. As you can see from mine in track trim, it has lost the head light, indicators, numberplate and hanger. It has a track fairing with under fairing crash bungs and more performance focussed tyres. As cookster says, if it really troubles your heart, get an 848 and rag the arse of that. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Or a Honda :eyes:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. @Cream_Revenge get some pics up dude everyone loves a track bike.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Did some quality cable-ties and gaffer tape yesterday!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Yeah I think I'll keep the R away from the track. Having thought it through, putting what could be a £7500 bike on the track would make me feel less at ease than a £4000 track dedicated machine.
    Thanks for the input guys :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Mate, it's only money. My £38K V4 is destined for the track after it's run in and will join my 1098R. What's the worst that can happen :joy: Andy

• Like Like x 4
  19. £38k :scream:

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. No pockets in shrouds mate. 64 year old, retired bachelor, home owner, no dependants, no debt. Oh yes and I just sold a 2 bed ground floor maisonette that I bought 15 years ago. By the time you add ceramic paint protection and ppf, race bodywork + paint job, spare petrol tank, replacement top yoke, set of race wheels and water/oil radiator guards, it’ll be over £41k. Hey, I aim to enjoy myself until my body lets me down, then their value can fund the medical care :upyeah: Andy

• Like Like x 7
Do Not Sell My Personal Information