1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Service Intervals?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by RoadRunner, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Hi,
    Got my eyes on a 2002 748 Mono, in red with 16k - (8 owners!). Am I correcting thinking at this mileage it is due for the 'Big' Desmo service or have I dreamt that up somewhere?
    Also, what would be a reason price if in reasonable nick? Only expecting ball park figures.
    Cheers
    RR

2. Are we talking E or S?
    Genuine mono* or BP with seat?

IMO, 8 owners is a lot and raises the question of how it’s been looked after. “Hmm, belt service due, think I’ll sell it on”, the service history is key, if complete.

If an S with full service history - 5-5.5k with that many owners.

If an E 500-750 less.

All assuming no Termis, no CF,

Its all so hard to tell without more details/pics

IMHO

* what’s a mono/BP between friends? Depends if it has the mono subframe or not. Or was built as a BP and someone’s added the mono subframe.

3. Oops, Desmo service should have been done long before now

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Desmo service every 6,000 miles I think on a demoquattro of that vintage

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Or, iirc every 2 years:(,at least that’s what mine were done at regardless of mileage.

Of course it could have been the dealer taking the piss:thinkingface:. Nowadays being time rich & cash poor I do it myself.

6. Every 2 years for the belts regardless of mileage but valve check is only mileage dependent, you spoiled that bike :D

I do belts every n years and valve check every n miles :D

7. Timing belts should be replaced every 3 years or 10k km/6k miles on my opinion but rarely give trouble of not changed for some time longer. It's just a risk you shouldn't take.
    Valve clearances should be checked at about the same time but can run a little longer. If you need lots of shims replaced it can get expensive.
    Importantly, the condition of the rockers should be checked when doing this as some have deterioration of the chrome surface. If these need to be replaced it can be very expensive but must be done.
    Regular oil changes and other maintenance items is key to allowing these bikes to last forever and put on high mileage

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I'll be the glass half-full guy and say it's unlikely to have made it to 16K miles without fairly regular servicing.

But based on unknown rocker condition (and from memory the later 748's were prone to flaking), I'd be lowballing the seller hard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. It must have been the dealer ripping me off unnecessarily then Harry:(. I’d have to check my book but I know a Desmo service was done at around 2700 miles because the dealer told me he HAD to do it due to the age of the bike and this would have been around the 5 year mark iirc.

Anyway, back to the OPs thread and service history is key :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Red!!!! Chip it down 748’s should be Yellow.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Indeed, the valves can't go out of spec due to wear if not used.

I change the belts every 2 or 3 years and check the valves whilst in there and if I feel like it.

Since fitting MBP retainers though, rarely do any of them require any adjusting.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thanks for all the replies but seller a bit slow at responding so...... unsure (hope not a forum member?).
    Its going for less than 5k. Photo below - with bins!! Any glaring no-no's? I'm new to Ducs and don't know what is original etc.....bottom of a big learning curve. 748Mono.jpg

13. That’s a 748E, base model (nowt wrong with that but just so you know), I’d guess 2002MY judging by the fairings, looks clean enough. It’s probably the light in the photo but the frame & wheels seem very light in colour, have they been resprayed?

the important thing is the service history, is it full and things been done when they should have been?

With 8 owners I doubt the original cans are still with it:(

Edit: duhhh... you said in your opening post it was 2002, I just looked back :confused:.

FYI there were only 60 2002 E models made, all red; last of the run:upyeah:

#13 West Cork Paul, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  14. Thanks WC Paul, I've not viewed it - yet, if I do I'll probably weaken and buy hence I'm trying to find out about first.... and if its total pile of tosh I'll be trouble with T&S. It's claimed to a 2002 Mono with 'lots of service history' and '8 owners I think' - not my words so, that sort of puts me off.

15. Well it’s definitely not a mono as it has a biposto seat and pillion foot rests.

16. Perhaps best steering well clear until I know what I'm buying. Appreciate the support!

17. FYI, it should have had the following done:
    Service A at 1000km or 6 months
    Service B at 10000km or 12 months
    Service C at 20000km or 24 months
    Service D at 30000km or 36 months

Timing belts should be replaced every 20000km or 2 years

Valve clearances (the ‘Desmo Service’) should have been checked every 10,000km

Lifted from the service record book from my 99 748

18. If the service history checks out and it’s as clean close up as it looks in the photo and you got it for 5k or less, IMHO that’d be a fair deal.

19. Thanks for the info Paul, the number of owners, not being original and lack of seller response sort of rings alarms bells to me - too belts'n braces me.....o_O
    Pretty clued up on when to change belts but that's my limit at the mo.

20. Why’s it not original?

Apart from the screen, that’s not original.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information