1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shorai’m Seeing Flames!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Mark9, Feb 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No I didn't, he did (as indicated in is post above).:upyeah:
    I said "If you just disconnect it gets hot". :broken_heart::motorcycleduc:
    I suggested that removing it would be an option for total loss, but probably not the BHP gains he indicated and not a good idea on a fuel injected bike (loads of power required).:yum

Given some of the responses to what I actually post I believe that certain people just see one or two words per sentence and then make the rest into an argument:astonished:.
    I like Lithium batteries and use them every day. :upyeah:
    I just point out the risks/issues on Ducati's, as I and other electrical engineers, motorcycle, generator set and battery manufacturers, see them.:bucktooth:

2. To summarise,

I said, originally, disconnect ONE of the three yellow wires

You said, Did i go back to my mate who said just disconnect the Gen set.

I said, He didn't say what you are saying

You then, re quoted me (read mis quoted, try reading!)

FE said to you, You said about disconnecting the gen set ( quoting you verbatim)

You said, No i didn't he did.......

Go on, stick another face palm up....:rolleyes: I would stick to fridges and air conditioning!...

So to help you, i am saying disconnect one of the three yellow wires coming out from the generator to the regulator. There is then no current no heat as there is no load in that circuit.
    You can put the generator in a lathe and spin it up, measure the power absorbed by the lathe with and without the generator and it’s the same. Add some load to the generator (resistance) and the story changes.
    Im quite happy with the knowledge qualification, experience and world wide reputation of my source for completing this. So i dont care what you say and am happy to agree to disagree!

drops the mike!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  3. Sticking my nose in here. Electrical engineer most of my life too. On a standard setup does the generator /Alternator send the charge usually 3 phase to the reg. The reg monitors the battery using voltage, sort of back emf from battery. Once the voltage is high enough,,, fully charged. The regulator connects the winding to earth. If left open ended then the coil on that section of the alternator becomes unstable. & overheats. Air con is this wrong. Educate me, never too old. Theory being that in it's 360 degree rotation the alternator if some are correct on here would do nothing for a 1/3rd of it's rotation. As in charge , charge, nothing. If that was the case then the rotation would surely be lumpy. Not as smooth as with all 3 coils connected. The above is probably all rubbish. As said sticking my huge nose in. Better stick to panel building.

4. I have many hats too. Proud to be very mechanically minded from being a tot. Good sparky in my day & very good spray painter. Dad always said when I wanted to be a mechanic. That is a hobby. He was right. Anyway my battery is on optimate & done well for last 18 months. Had my Nissan Skyline & Porsche 911 hooked up to them for around 6 years each & never had to change a battery. I think the Lithium idea is ok for race bikes to shave a bit of weight, but what's the point on a road bike.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thread closed

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information